FAO All Nikon D300 owners.

For me it is only perfection!

The D70s was a revelation...... But this for the time being is perfection!

Oh and you might want to get a proper fast card reader to go with it... try the Lexar Pro - twenty of her majesty's pounds from MyMemory and means you can copy a card quicker than you can make your first brew when you come back with your shots :D

to be honest, I've never understood card reader's as to what they do. I have card slots on my PC already, would a card reader still copy them across faster.

Well not all card readers (which is still what is built into your PC!) are equal... the latest gen ones like the Lexar Pro are seriously quicker - my scabby old one would take almost an hour to copy 8gb, the Lexar does it in about 12 minutes!

So the 3D tracking is basically like a fancy auto focus that gives you no control, don't like the sound of that, will have to try it out though I guess.

Not at all. You pick what you want to focus on, an eye for example. The focus system then tracks that around the frame as it moves. Or moves the focus point as you recompose.

Maybe it works if only the subject is moving and not the camera? Like I said before, try turning on the AF point illumination and then try 3d tracking... you'll see it try and work it out then...

the AF-ON button(which I suggest you want to use to activate AF and not the shutter release button!)

Why? Seriously. I've never really understood what the hell the AF-ON button is for. It seems to simply duplicate the half press shutter release mode. OK - fine, but if you use it, it prevents you using your thumb for other equally important things. What is the point of the AF-ON button?

Or just turn the poxy VR off!

I'm with your here. I had a VR lens and never liked it. It only took about 3 shots where the trouble seemed worth it.

Well not all card readers (which is still what is built into your PC!) are equal... the latest gen ones like the Lexar Pro are seriously quicker - my scabby old one would take almost an hour to copy 8gb, the Lexar does it in about 12 minutes!
aha, thats all I need to know then, mine takes ages to copy across onto the PC, i'll get one of those and the new memory card.

Not at all. You pick what you want to focus on, an eye for example. The focus system then tracks that around the frame as it moves. Or moves the focus point as you recompose.
Think I need to read the manual some more then lol.

Maybe it works if only the subject is moving and not the camera? Like I said before, try turning on the AF point illumination and then try 3d tracking... you'll see it try and work it out then...
I'll have to pop over the park and try it on some birds, see how it works there.

:D

Why AF-ON?

Because otherwise when you fire a burst you will get the same metering for the entire burst. Fine if you subject is just sitting there in front of you, not so good when its a car/bike/aircraft whizzing in and out of changing light...

Sorry,
anybody who got that in their email, I need to learn to read.
Many apologies.

Why AF-ON?

Because otherwise when you fire a burst you will get the same metering for the entire burst. Fine if you subject is just sitting there in front of you, not so good when its a car/bike/aircraft whizzing in and out of changing light...

ok - just so that I understand...using the AF-ON button to focus means that when the shutter release button is pressed the focus and exposure adjust for the duration of the burst. Whereas, taking the exact same burst with the shutter release button means that focus and exposure are fixed for the duration of the burst. Is that how it works? I re-read the manual last night and it plain old doesn't explain it.

Edit: at the risk of hijacking the thread- does anyone know whether any of the D300 books are of any use? By that I mean Mastering the Nikon D300 by Darrell Young or David Busch's Nikon D300 Guide to Digital SLR Photography by David Busch? I'm wary of such books having bought a Magic Lantern guide when I first bought my D40x and found it to be little more than a plodding regurgetation of the user manual.

Why AF-ON?

OMG! :bang: I'm so thick :bang:
I think.
*off to check some menu stuff*

Just tried it on D700.
It does meter between shots, didn't use AF-ON button. You can make it lock the exposure when you press the shutter but that's not the default.

1st Problem Post

Year old in two weeks - 28k actuations.
Developed a fault a few days ago when one of the shutter vanes would not retract causing dark band across all shots.
Returned under guarantee to jessops who sent it off to Nikon for repair.
Awaiting outcome.

Cheers for posting that Rockshifter. Fingers crossed it will all get sorted for you.

Just to add though, I fricken love this camera. Haven't had time to read the manual anymore and really need to understand the focus points as it's confusing the hell out of me at the moment, and trying to set the white balance is different to my D50 so I need to read up on that aswell.

anyway, here's some pics I got this morning with it.

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=1623578#post1623578

My D200 is at 24000 and just as good as when it was bought but rubbers starting to look a bit used now but can be easily bought of tinterweb

~5500, no problems other than when I used kenko extension tubes. It reports low battery when I know the battery is fine (checked with 2 batteries - and friends D300). I performed a firmware upgrade and it appears to have sorted out the problem but only tried using kenko extension tubes once since the upgrade as bought new 105mm macro lens.

Absolutely love the camera and with my beginner status i'm still learning all it has to offer.

7612 - had mine since last Aug/Sept (but you know that! Dal) - so i'll be able to show you how to use it. lol

Paul

Back