"farewell Bittern" @Lincoln

Name
Michael
Edit My Images
No
A great set of pictures with the cold weather helping with the steam.

I do like the monochromatic effect of No 4.

I agree, its a great set, well cropped and the colours and ting is superb, good work Michael,

Geoff

A great set of pictures with the cold weather helping with the steam.

I do like the monochromatic effect of No 4.

I agree, its a great set, well cropped and the colours and ting is superb, good work Michael,

Geoff

#3 is an excellent shot Michael. Sharp, movement and a lovely winter sun from the right

Thanks all, nice to have it in some wintry weather for a change.

Excellent shots Michael. I've not visited the Watercress Line before ... but now I have a reason to do so.

The Sprint Steam Gala sounds like the perfect opportunity :)

Great shots. The light is excellent, as shown in photo 3 in particular and the B&W are superb too..a lot of 'atmosphere/mood' there. I was on a run to Paddington, November 26 and saw it at Southall Railway Centre..we passed right by it. It was coupled to carriages and the boiler was ticking over.

I see the Watercress Line Spring Gala is the weekend of February 13th-14th-15th... hardly Spring..Lol. 'Bittern' and 'Brittania' will be there. Seems the regular dates in March are too busy this year. I've googled it,not knowing where it was..Alresford. http://www.watercressline.co.uk/product.php/21/spring-steam-gala

90 miles from me ..1 hr. 40 minutes... so doable in a day. I don't really want to ride the train but it states 'entry by tickets only '. Is it possible to go there just to photograph ? Maybe theres a way to donate .My wife and I paid £180 to see all six at Shildon last February and one of the officials said thanks for supporting them (after asking how far we'd travelled…235 miles..4 hours)... so it matters.

Ken…Do you catch the locos somewhere between Alresford >Bishops Sutton > Ropley ? It's a 7 mile trip (one way) so do they just go back and forth all day ?

http://www.watercressline.co.uk/article.php/61/the-route-today

Thanks,Ken.. Much appreciated

Long way,Michael. You'd need two drivers for that and be sure of a good weather day too.

If you come down to the Mid Hants, come and say hello, I'll (almost certainly) be behind the Real Ale bar for one, if not two of the days (<plug> Local Ales, competitively priced </plug> ;) ).
There are places to take photos from for free along the line, and there has been a far bit of tree clearance over the winter, so I think there will be some new viewpoints this year.
Please, though, do respect the farmer's wishes and don't trample their fields, and please do not attempt to go lineside (with out a valid PTS).
Tickets are £25 a day, or £50 for 3 days, giving you access to all 4 stations, the yard at Ropley (loco shed and works) and unlimited travel and a brouchure with the timetable and loco allocations for each run. The best parking is at Ropley (a large field 1/2 way up station road), but there is also parking at both Alresford and Alton, and a mainline connection with SWT at Alton.

I'm hoping for 3 sharp crisp frosty (or perhaps snowy) days for the gala :)

Tim....Thanks for the invite..Can't drink and drive though..have to Tropicana with sparkling water.. Lol.

No worries about awareness re. surroundings..I'm very conscious of farmer's fields and to get to tracks I'll walk round the edge no matter how much further . With the tree clearance it sounds good to me. February is the worst month for weather..we get through November and December and even half-way through January and we think we've got away with a mild winter then bang..Freezing temperatures,severe storms..the whole shabang... Last February the gales destroyed the fences both sides of our back garden 30 metres each one, ripped a ridge tile off the roof one end and blew it across and down onto my wife's car on the drive…...but it could be a good weekend this time round..Lol. By the way..As my wife is a named driver on my car the insurance company not only added £100 to her policy they added £54 to mine !!. She's never had an accident,driving offence or claim ever. We feel somewhat miffed about this. I asked the company why as it wasn't a road traffic incident and she coldly said.."A claim's a claim". What can you do ?. Ugh.

Back