Farnborough Balloon Hanger

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
I had a couple of hours to spare last Friday, and ended up trying to do justice to the old balloon hanger at Farnborough airfield.

IMGP5350-2.jpg

I tried several different kinds of PP including B&W, and vignetting but in the end I just cropped, levelled and then cheated a little by de-saturating the adjacent buildings to make them a more harmonious colour to the green painted steel and the tree. :)

All suggestions for improvement gratefully received.

More information on the hanger can be found here.

It's actually an old airship hangar left as a feature on a business park next to the airport.

I've tried to capture it a few times and never felt i got it right. Like the desaturated feel of Dave's capture.

Here's one of my attempts

IQ, Farnborough by s_a_h, on Flickr

I like this, looks interesting, is it preserved like that as a memorial or something?

It was rebuilt as a reminder of Farnborough's aviation history. When it was in use it had a canvas covering, and the balloon was protected inside.

Nice shot Pentaprison. I took my camera down one evening (I work at the airport) and managed to get some alright shots (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ginge52/sets/72157626879678543/) before security were questioning why I was taking photos.

Simon, I honestly thought that was my photo in your post (had to double check my Flickr page). As you can see, they are very similar.....
5830278744_3110cda175_b.jpg
[/url] IMG_2928 by Ginge52, on Flickr[/IMG]

I can definitely see what you mean Richard. Looks like we shot from pretty much the identical spot so the composition is bound to be near identical.

Back