North England Farne Islands

Name
'Gramps'
Edit My Images
No
Anyone been on one of the photography trips to the Farne Islands to photograph puffins and other seabirds?
Did you go on your own or as part of a workshop - any pointers?

Hi Gramps, our camera club make a point of going to the Farne Islands every year as it's such a great photogenic experience. Best time to go is May to July as this is the breading season. The all day trip is the one to book as this gives you 2 hours on Staple island and another 2 hours on the inner Farnes. Take a hard hat as the inner Farnes is where the Arctic terns breed and they dive bomb the visitors. A truly great experiance, google Farne island trips and I recommend Billy Shields Boat Trips.

Thanks Kevin, I'm up there in June.
I didn't know whether it's best to go with a workshop group or if going alone will get me the same opportunities?

I'm looking at Billy Shields Boat Trips they do a day (6hrs) on Staple Island at a cost of £35.00, then a landing fee of £10.00 if your not a National trust member. ( I'll keep an eye on your thread to) :)

The 6-hour trip is to both STAPLE ISLAND & INNER FARNE, about 2 hours on each island and some around the islands opportunities filling the rest of the time :)
They suggest taking a packed lunch as there is no food available on the islands, I will take my 70-200 with TC's and am debating taking my 200-400, just concerned about weight verses mobility.

I am going in June this year and heading with Photograpersonsafari, I went with them 2 years ago and the weather was dismal. The Bass rock tour was cancelled the day before and the light was so bad for the Farnes, i was at 1600iso all day.

Tips: just bring enough cards, Wear a hat for the Tern colony (they have sharp beaks) and you can have a peaceful lunch inside the old ruins near the public toilet. Puffins in flight were hard enough but my approach was easier then I thought, find a point that a lot of puffins are flying through and focus on that, turn off your AF and just look through the viewfinder, you will see a blurred vision coming into your view, as soon as its starts to get sharp, start shooting. I have better success with that method, all I needed was bit of good light

We had 4 1/2 hours on the island, 2 on Staple and 2 1/2 on inner Farne

Last edited:
I am going in June this year and heading with Photograpersonsafari,

When are you going, I tried booking with them but got no response after confirming a date that was suitable.

I'm booked for June 7th. I booked it before Christmas as i know they fill up fast. I think the last time John Wright had only 10 in a group

Watch where you are putting your feet and i'm not joking, you might get a cold feel about the photography because it is so easy and not much of a challenge but a fantastic place too visit.
They do cancel the trips if the weather is pants and being Northumberland that is a big consideration.

I'm booked for June 7th. I booked it before Christmas as i know they fill up fast. I think the last time John Wright had only 10 in a group

What lenses did you/will you take?

Just go it alone Gramps, a workshop won't take you anywhere that you can't go yourself and do take your 200-400 lens, you will need it.

Just go it alone Gramps, a workshop won't take you anywhere that you can't go yourself and do take your 200-400 lens, you will need it.

Thanks Kevin :)

Bought my 300 2.8 and converters. Probably won't need them but rather have them in the bag them at home

As Kev says, just go it alone. The two islands are small, and there are birds everywhere. Guided tours will only be of use to those who aren't sure of camera settings.

The all day trip is the one to go for. But remember there is only a toilet on Inner Farne, which is the afternoon Island. I always book with Billy Shiels

I take my 150-500mm, 300mm, 18-135.

Could probably get away without the 150-500, but being a zoom its very versatile. The 18-135 is useful for when you are being bombed by terns

I tended to keep on my own most of the trip,as i am not a complete beginner to photography. I didn't know where to book the islands and was recommended John Wright by another photographer that i know in Waterford. I did not realise until Gramps posted that Billy Shields does a longer trip as i priced the trips last time i was there and they all seemed to e around the £13 mark and they say that's for a trip around the island and an hour on the island.

Some birds will be very close, some further away and as you are stuck to the walkways you need a bit of reach.

Thanks, yes I am a NT member ... is there ample parking at Seahouses?

Car park is small but as previously said, once you get there early, its not a problem. What date have you booked?

Booked with Billy Shiels for the 2nd June as have had no response from Photographers on Safari for 6th.

The local blog seems to indicate all is going according to plan ... we shall see :D

The local blog seems to indicate all is going according to plan ... we shall see :D

I've been looking at that. Are you taking a Tripod? I don't want to be weighted down with to much equipment was hoping the other half would go at least I could have used him as a pack horse :)

I'm still wavering over taking anything more than a 70-200 and converters, if I do take the 200-400 I'll probably take a monopod as it's easier to carry about.

Leave a spare pair of shoes in the car and change your footwear after the trip before driving away. My car stunk of fish and fishy bird poo because it was on the soles of my boots.

I only used my sigma 150-500 and found it was ample. I found it amazing just how close you could get to the birds.

lol, a very good tip, thanks :)

Hi, how did the trip to the Farne Islands go? I'm going on Saturday any tips :)

Hi, how did the trip to the Farne Islands go? I'm going on Saturday any tips :)

Sadly my wife was taken into hospital and we had to cancel the holiday :(
She is out now and recovering well so we have booked Pembrokeshire and Snowdonia in a couple of weeks time so will visit Skomer Island to catch the puffins there.
So sorry, no tips :)

Oh dear sorry to hear about that but glad she is on the mend, enjoy your break :)

I'm late to this one Gramps, and sorry to hear of your wife's illness stopping you going

For what its worth - I've been twice as just a few mates from a camera club - I enjoyed both visits, I can't see how a 'workshop' would have been much use either, all the birds are pretty easy to shoot and you move around the island to get the light in the right place :)

I won a competition with a photo of a Tern, shot on a 12-24 mm lens (DX) at 12 mm !!! Yes, they can be that close lol

I only have a 70-200 at the longest (Brides are not so elusive to need longer) and didn't really feel the need for anything longer tbh - though I guess a 400mm would have helped with some flying shots

Good luck for health & weather on your next attempted trip :)

Dave

I'm late to this one Gramps, and sorry to hear of your wife's illness stopping you going

For what its worth - I've been twice as just a few mates from a camera club - I enjoyed both visits, I can't see how a 'workshop' would have been much use either, all the birds are pretty easy to shoot and you move around the island to get the light in the right place :)

I won a competition with a photo of a Tern, shot on a 12-24 mm lens (DX) at 12 mm !!! Yes, they can be that close lol

I only have a 70-200 at the longest (Brides are not so elusive to need longer) and didn't really feel the need for anything longer tbh - though I guess a 400mm would have helped with some flying shots

Good luck for health & weather on your next attempted trip :)

Dave

Thanks Dave, TBH with this sort of workshop it's as much about letting someone else do all the arrangements for me - anyway re-booked a holiday in Pembrokeshire/Snowdonia so will get the chance for puffins etc on Skomer Island and leave the Farne Islands for another time :)

Can you just turn up up on a week day and pay to get on the boat to the islands or does it have to be booked in advance? How long is the boat trip to the island? what sort of distances are walked ?

Can you just turn up up on a week day and pay to get on the boat to the islands or does it have to be booked in advance? How long is the boat trip to the island? what sort of distances are walked ?
Hi I've just got back from the Farne Islands, went with Billy shiels from Seahouses although I booked in advance ( about 6 weeks ) There was still room on the boat yesterday and I didn't have to pay till I picked up my ticket ( think thats because he will cancel if the sea is to rough ) ring the booking office the day before to see if their are any spaces.
well worth going it was my first trip but will defiantly go again :)

forgot to mention, the all day boat trip was 5 hours 2hrs on staple island and 2 on the inner Farnes walking is pretty easy unless you go over the rocky bits but it wasn't to bad.

Last edited:
What time does the boat leave,how long does it take to get to the islands what time does the boat leave the island and arrive back at Seahouses. How much for the boat trip.Most important of all did you get any good shots? Thanks.

Hi
We left seahouses about 9.30 and it takes roughly 30 mins to get to staple island we left the inner Farne Island about 3.30 getting into seahouses about 4ish hope that helps

Back