NSFW Fashion vs. Censorship

Interesting to see they used Tom Ford images by Terry Richardson, after the recent allegations about him.
If anything, the Tom Ford Black Orchid image, portrayed large in Brick Lane, a predominately Muslim area I thought could be seen as offensive when I saw it because of it's size and the population of the area.
CaraDelevingne.jpg

However the ASA found that it didn't breach their rules then.

Same goes with music videos, take Britney spears in a provocative schoolgirl outfit. Fashions always objectified the models, photographers and designers have always pushed boundaries. If the music industry can get away with it, then why are we surprised the fashion industry pushed it further.

I'm just surprised the ASA chose this fight and not others. A modern trend to respond to 'internet outrage'?

Why is it that "fashion" and fragrance adverts are stuck in the same trope/rut?

Let's face it, the largest chunk of disposable income is in the hands of the over-fifties anyway... So who's buying into this pubescent imagery?

Interesting to see they used Tom Ford images by Terry Richardson, after the recent allegations about him.
If anything, the Tom Ford Black Orchid image, portrayed large in Brick Lane, a predominately Muslim area I thought could be seen as offensive when I saw it because of it's size and the population of the area.
CaraDelevingne.jpg

However the ASA found that it didn't breach their rules then.

Same goes with music videos, take Britney spears in a provocative schoolgirl outfit. Fashions always objectified the models, photographers and designers have always pushed boundaries. If the music industry can get away with it, then why are we surprised the fashion industry pushed it further.

I'm just surprised the ASA chose this fight and not others. A modern trend to respond to 'internet outrage'?

I found it particularly hypocritical that the Sølve Sundsbø image was singled out as unsuitable when it's actually a very tasteful, artistic nude study. I'm failing to see the difference between something like that and Michelangelo's David... a sculpture we're happy to parade schoolchildren in front of :)

It's OK to show cock and balls if it's not a REAL cock and balls. LOL.... although you can't actually see the guy's balls in Sundsbø's image.

Last edited:
Let's face it, the largest chunk of disposable income is in the hands of the over-fifties anyway

You are in my view completely right, (generally speaking) the over fifties and I am one (66) that has disposable income but, as I see it many younger people are living on "Maxed Out" Credit Cards and Mortgages and have got a real culture shock coming when the Interest rates return to pre 2007/8 levels.

Last edited:
Back