Fast glass in M42

Name
John
Edit My Images
No
I'm off to the coast tomorrow so I'm sorting out what stuff to take, some film cock-ups mean the 6 and the C220 both have b/w in them and I want to shoot colour, so its gonna be 35mm.
I'm using my FM2n, M42 glass and an adapter, the film will be kodachrome.
I have this gorgeous Yashica 50 1.4 in M42, but whilst sorting my crap out I find it will not focus when fitted to a Nikon adapter, the rear element rolls out from the back of the lens, but the adapter doesn't allow enough travel for even half distance focussing.
Is this typical of 50mm 1.4's because the 1.8 is no problem.
Is there a work around, because I'm not taking the Zenit just to shoot the 50.
Will the same problem occur with an A1 and the necessary adapter, I may move to that for M42 if I ever get it back..:D

*bows to photo Gods*

mbqoea.jpg

wufe60.jpg

There's an issue with the rollei 1.8... but oddly the 1.4 is OK on Nikons I assume your adapter has the optical window? Looks like you are in the pooh then as far as that lens and Nikons go. I had a Chinon 1.4 M42 that needed to be stopped down to f/2 to get a decent image on the Nikon, but right now I do not have an M42 1.5 at all.

Cheers Arthur..

The rear element at infinity sticks out about 6mm, I think the adapter allows maybe 2mm because it will only focus to 2m on the distance scale.
The lens is not at all soft wide open.
I think I'm in the poo with the Nikon with this lens, dunno about Canon though, maybe the diameter of the hole is big enough to accept the rear element...I dunno

I had no problems with any lens on the Canons

John,

I can ease your pain. Just send that lens to me and voila! No more head scratching :naughty:

Still not got the A1 back yet ? Good grief, what are they doing with it ?

John,

I can ease your pain. Just send that lens to me and voila! No more head scratching :naughty:

I'll bear that in mind, marry it up with the A1 cock-ups and I'm getting close to not being arsed with 35mm..

Still not got the A1 back yet ? Good grief, what are they doing with it ?

Ah well....not getting harranged by me, its mostly my fault for not banging heads together.
Buys a perfect user A1 from Fleabay
Turns out to be not a perfect user at all, has a bad Canon cough.
Gets refund, keeps camera, not worth posting back.
Chucks it in to Dales in October.....*waits*
After 10 contact attempts, finally gets through in February.
Awaiting parts.....:bat:

Ahh... wanna borrow something?

Thanks Arthur but nah, I think I'll end up just buying another A1, it doesn't stand me at anything except time wasted getting it repaired.
Its only for shooting M42 anyway...

Well, offer's there if you want...

The adapter for Nikons has to have an optical element in it, without it the lens will not focus to infinity because its too close to the film plane.
This thing with the 50 is a mechanical problem I haven't encountered with my M42 stuff, non of it has a rear element the protrudes from the M42 threaded mount like this 50 does..:shrug:.
I wanted something a bit more modern but nothing as expensive as a Bessaflex, I don't want to keep dealing with gooey light seals and sticky needles.
I've tried a Spotmatic, Fujica 605, Zenit XP, Ricoh TLS and a Yashica TL, all of them haven't met my expectation for one reason or another.

Back