fast lens

Edit My Images
No
looking at buying a fx fast lens
but unsure what one to buy
I'm off to rome next yr and looking to visit inside the vatican
so no flash in most of the rooms
don't know whether to buy a 30mm 35mm or 50mm focal length with a f1.4
even looked at the nikon 14-24mm f2.8 just for the extra width when inside buildings

whats your views on these lens'e also have you any experience using these lens's
personally i think i would prefer the 14-24mm

looking at buying a fx fast lens
but unsure what one to buy
I'm off to rome next yr and looking to visit inside the vatican
so no flash in most of the rooms
don't know whether to buy a 30mm 35mm or 50mm focal length with a f1.4
even looked at the nikon 14-24mm f2.8 just for the extra width when inside buildings

whats your views on these lens'e also have you any experience using these lens's
personally i think i would prefer the 14-24mm

The 14-24, whilst one of the best WA Nikon lens, is a real chunk of glass. Are you likely use it again?

Depends whether you want something to really use a lot afterwards. I did have a 14-24 as always wanted one but I personally don't shoot that wide at all.

I'd recommend one of the 35's, the 1.8 would be fine but if you wanted a little more flexibility why not the 28 1.8?

Obviously not as fast & a bit bigger, but would the 16-35 work? (it has VR)

35mm is a great focal length for FF, and there's always very good, light fast 35mm choice out there (even for Nikon :) )!

Add 28mm 1.8g to that list. Sold mine and regret it!!!

AFAIK - no photography allowed in the Sistine Chapel.

Last edited:
Spoilsport!
TBH when I went I didnt want to photograph it, I just marveled at its brilliance through my own eyes. We did have a few tourists talking too loudly but they stopped after I "politely" asked them to stop talking about their plane journey over from the US :)
It is a church after all.
Matt

Depends how much you want to carry... if you're taking other lenses... while not the latest and greatest, the old 20/2.8 and 35/2 AFD lenses will easily fit in a couple of pockets.

TBH when I went I didnt want to photograph it, I just marveled at its brilliance through my own eyes. We did have a few tourists talking too loudly but they stopped after I "politely" asked them to stop talking about their plane journey over from the US :)
It is a church after all.
Matt

The stewards will stop you taking photos in there if you try. I remember it as the most dissapointing bit of the Vatican. Maybe cause of the crowds and everyone talking it up.

Op I used a 35mm exclusively in Rome. There were a couple of occasions I wished I had wider but only a couple. 50mm will be too restrictive

Last edited:
another vote for the 16-35...

I have the 14-24 (& love it) but its damm restrictive to use - & its a fat lens..

The filters are also horrendously expensive.

You could rent one from a nice chap on here...

Personally I just use my 24-120mm f4 for things like this, the D750 can handle high ISO and the VR helps keep the shutter speed down. But as mentioned, don't buy a lens just for the Vatican as you'll be wasting your money for the reason already mentioned.

Back