Fast Lenses - Any tips - my brain is going to pop!!

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All, I've spent a load of time looking into reviews of fast lenses and I really don't know which way to go with them. :shrug:

I've got a 350d and currently have a 50mm f1.8, 10-20sigma and 28-135 canon IS.

I've done a few weddings with another friend who is a photographer and we've been really pleased with the pixs etc. However I'm kind of using these jobs to fund buying newer kit etc. As we've lined up for a few more weddings this year and I'm thinking I should probably get a faster/better lenses particularly after struggling in low light in the past. The 50mm is great but at times having the zoom is so useful.

I'm interested to hear what people recommend etc particularly if you used cropped sensor cameras.

If I get a tele, I'm kind of set on a sigma 70-200mm f2.8, I've seen peoples photos on here etc and read reviews
- i'd love the canon IS one but thats way over budget.
However on the wider end I've got no idea.

Choices-
Sigma 17-50 f2.8
Tamron AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II LD
Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 USM IS - a bit overbudget
Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 USM L - a bit overbudget too

From what I've read they're all good lenses but some are better than others.

Maybe I should be looking at prime lenses or maybe there are some i've missed. I probably should be looking at getting a full sensor camera but i've kind of got my heart set on a 40D.

Maybe I'm way off track and don't need such fast lenses. Any advice experience really appreicated.
Rob:D

A second body would serve you better I reckon.

hi steep, yeah I'm hoping to get that first (having a backup is pretty important) and then thinking about selling my 28-135 and getting maybe 1 or 2 lenses.

24-70 for me keep your eyes open for a second hand 28-70 I have just got one and its a great lens some say better then the 24-70 :) , another option might be a 70-200 2.8m I belive there are quite a few wedding togs use these

Hi Robbys82

A second body would serve you better I reckon.

I think I'm with Steep on this one.

I got 'hung up' on fast lenses some years ago. Was thinking about adding a 50mm 1.8 or 1.4 (expensive) to my bag when I already had a 2.8 then a very wise friend said "Why not stick with your current lens and just use faster film? You can use the money to buy something else that you really need." It was good advice and I took it... I bought a 300mm instead.

Yes fast lenses can be very important and necessary (sometimes) but do you really need it? Would a cheaper/slower version do the job and free up cash for other kit?

if I was a wedding photographer and I would never be, so pointless post really i'd plump for the 17-55mm on one body and a fast prime on the other - 85mm or 135mm but probably go for the former.

cheers for your thought walls. when i've done them previously i used the 50 on another body and that did work well.

I've got the sigma 70-200 F2.8, and I like it a lot, it's sharp and sweet, with a pleasing bokeh.

Hi Rob, the sigma 70-200 is an absolute gem and mine has got me some really great shots, if you don't have the readies for the canon IS it's the best you can get if you want f/2.8.

Depending on the event's of this week I may be thinking of selling mine to replace with the canon IS. I'm not in Plymouth at the moment but my folks still live there, if you're interested in mine maybe we could sort something out? (it's the model before the current macro version)

On the wide end the sigma 24-70 is meant to be a reasonable alterative to the more expensive canon but you're using a crop body and 24mm on the wide end I found with my 350D wasn't wide enough on many occasions. The 17-55 f/2.8 is what i'd say was the best choice if you can save up.

Hi Col, thanks for the information -really useful! I think im leaning towards the 17-55 2.8 now, like you say im not sure 24-70 is wide enough on a crop camera and I can't afford to make that leap to full frame yet when I buy a body soon!

It depends on how much you would want for the lens to be honest - i may be stateside and somepoint soon and contemplating taking advantage of the exchange rate. Thanks for offering though and the good advice

Back