Faster focusing telephoto zoom

Edit My Images
Yes
Morning all,

Currently, I have been using a Nikon 80-200 2.8 version 2 (push pull) lens for a few years now. It’s been a great workhouse and I still love the images it produces. It has been away for a service as the lube has dried up and it is starting to show its age now.

I am looking for a faster focusing telephoto zoom, sadly my budget first stretch as far as the new 70-200 fl - I tried one in the summer and was blown away by it - sensational.

Anyway - back to reality - I’m considering going for a used 80-200 two ring, the addition of the tripod collar seems useful and most importantly as the lens is still current, serviceability shouldn’t be a problem.

My question is, how much faster is the af on these lenses ?

I’m hesitant to go for the 70-200 vr I and some of the older sigma / tamron lenses due to serviceability.

Can't comment on the Nikon but if budget is an issue i personally would go for the Sigma 70-200mm F2.8. Can be had for around £500 second hand (Or even cheaper if you're lucky) and its an amazing lens.

+1 for the Sigma 70-200 OS, I had one on a Nikon body and loved it.

I would not discount the Nikon vr1, it is stellar on a crop body and the price and dropped a fair bit over the last few years.

This

Thanks gents.

I like the look of the vr 1 - it’ll be mounted on a D3s / 810 - so not cropped. My only concern is the availability of parts now it’s quite old

Nikon still stock parts for VR1. Can’t see servicing being an issue. There’s the 80-200 af-s to consider too.

Back