Faster(ish) prime vs Zoom for wildlife?

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, bit of a dilemma.

I've recently come back to photography and fancy shooting wildlife/birds and maybe some motorsport. I have a screw drive 70-210 f4 but the focusing is quite slow.

I've narrowed down my Nikon long lens choice to a 300mm f4 with 1.4x tele or a Sigma 150-600 contemporary. I'm reluctant to look at the 2.8 300mm due to size/weight - although I haven't tested any of them. Don't want to go much over £700 which is around the price of the Sigma and double the price of the Nikon 300mm.

But the real issue is I'm using a geriatric D200 and I can't decide if I'll need the slightly faster prime but lose the ability to zoom in and out - not always possible to physically move, or whether the zoom is more important than the speed. I won't be able to crank up the iso to compensate either - I reckon I can maybe go to iso 800? Going to add Dxo denoising to my workflow so might be able to push the iso a bit more?

What are your thoughts? Does image quality win out and go for the prime? I have a monopod but all my previous photography experience was portraits so I'd be a bit clunky with it...

Thanks.

Last edited:
PERSONALLY, I'd go for the zoom option. Yes, you'll lose out on ultimate image quality but it'll also add to your "reach" - the most you can achieve with the 300 + 1.4x is 420mm compared to the 600 of the zoom. You'll also have the option of going shorter than the 300mm, even with the converter fitted. If you can find a good one second hand, you should be able to sell it on if/when you decide you want/need an upgrade.

BTW, you're right about 800 being the top of the D200's useable ISO range. Even with denoising software, 1600 is a bit too far (IMO!)

PERSONALLY, I'd go for the zoom option. Yes, you'll lose out on ultimate image quality but it'll also add to your "reach" - the most you can achieve with the 300 + 1.4x is 420mm compared to the 600 of the zoom. You'll also have the option of going shorter than the 300mm, even with the converter fitted. If you can find a good one second hand, you should be able to sell it on if/when you decide you want/need an upgrade.

BTW, you're right about 800 being the top of the D200's useable ISO range. Even with denoising software, 1600 is a bit too far (IMO!)
Thanks for that - I'm a bit worried at f6.3 that it won't be fast enough but tbh I am leaning more towards the Sigma.

Thanks for that - I'm a bit worried at f6.3 that it won't be fast enough but tbh I am leaning more towards the Sigma.
Remember that the 300 f/4 becomes a 420 f/5.6 with the 1.4 TC fitted - so the aperture difference is only 1/3 stop between the zoom and prime in that case.

edit: made clear what the 1/3 stop difference referred to.

Last edited:
Remember that the 300 f/4 becomes a 420 f/5.6 with the 1.4 TC fitted - so the aperture difference is only 1/3 stop in that case.
f4 + a x1.4 TC becomes f5.6 as stated but that is a 1 stop difference not a 1/3......unless of course I missed if you were referring to, about a 1/3 stop, to something else?

f4 + a x1.4 TC becomes f5.6 as stated but that is a 1 stop difference not a 1/3......unless of course I missed if you were referring to, about a 1/3 stop, to something else?
Yes, I was referring to the difference between the 300 f/4 + 1.4 tc and the Sigma 150-600 f/6.3 (IE The 1 stop addition from the TC changes it from f/4 vs f/6.3 to f/5.6 vs f.6.3)

The Sigma is a great lens for the money and I don't think you'll beat it with your budget TBH. (y)

Ah thanks. I've read about it being stuck at 5.6 but on some other non-compatible cameras you can't actually fire the shutter. I think that's made my mind up for me

Not sure what version of the 300/4 we're talking about, if it's the previous version which lacks VR then the Zoom option may be better.

I have the 200-500, excellent lens!

Suggest that if you may go for Sigma spend some time with it. Handling wise I've used a Sigma 150-600C, 150-500 and the Nikkor, the Nikkor wins for me. I had the 150-500 for my Pentax kit and thought it was the ideal personal social distancing lens as it seems to affect my balance. OH had the 150-600C Sigma - great in the shop but not on holiday (we could never fathom that out).

Back