Fastest saving RAW camera

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

At the moment I am using a 550D. I have recently started shooting in raw but I have noticed when using burst mode it will only take a small number of pictures and then stops while it saves to the card. The card is class 10 16gb.

As I am into motorsport photography and tend to do a lot of panning shots on burst mode I am either looking for tips on how people get around the problem of it only taking about 3 rapid pictures before it stalls or what other camera body (Canon) has a bigger buffer and will allow continuous shooting for a longer period of time. I do not have a big budget so I would be looking at second hand cameras. What do people suggest?

Some cameras have larger buffers than others for this reason. If you want to shoot motorsports in RAW you'll need a camera with a large enough buffer to allow it.

Ok, i`m not too clued up with the different camera bodies and what one is best for what purpose. Does anyone a bit more experienced with motorsport photography have any suggestions for what would be a good body to use with a large enough buffer to shoot motorsport in raw?

Then again...... for motorsport is it enough to just shoot in jpg and save a load of money! lol I`m not a pro, just hobbyist aiming to get the best possible pictures I can.

For comparison, your 550D has a buffer that will cope with 13 JPG's or 7 RAW (or 5 when shooting RAW+JPG). A 50D will grab 60 JPG's or 15 RAW and a 1DMkIV will manage 121 JPG's or 28 RAW files.
The 1Dx has upped the anti and can grab close to 180 JPG's or 35 RAW before flushing.

Bob

personally I shoot in jpeg for motorsport and plug for one shot of the many being good enough, rather than risking less shots and more PP work with RAW.

that's on a 550D, and I'm definitely no pro!! But seems to work okay for me as I take my first steps at that type of photography.

I too shoot Jpeg for Motorsport and I also try not to spray and pray and try to take just 2 or 3 shots in a burst otherwise you end up with hundreds of binned shots and hours sorting through them in pp. That said my D300 will shoot 8 frames a second with the grip attached..

indeed. the 550D is rated to 6 RAW continuous, why on earth would you want to rapid fire much more than that?

Mainly because there is usually more than one car on a track and quickly moving from one car to the next doesnt always allow enough time waiting for the 6 pictures already taken to save to the menory card before you need to be ready for the next shot.

Mainly because there is usually more than one car on a track and quickly moving from one car to the next doesnt always allow enough time waiting for the 6 pictures already taken to save to the menory card before you need to be ready for the next shot.

right, but normally youd rapid (or at least quick single fire) maybe 2-3 then lift off the shutter (the buffer then starts to clear down), recompose and shoot more.

sounds like you just need faster cards if youre only getting 3 shots?

I should point out I only shot jpeg for Motorsport as I take around 1000 motocross shots on an average day which then go up for sale so I need to get in from the track and get them processed and upload to my site as fast as possible.

Do they only do one lap races lol.

Just wait for the ones you missed to come back round
& you can bin the rubbish whilst your waiting :)

The fastest cards will help to clear the buffer quicker.

Except when the speed at which the camera writes to the card is the bottleneck. Most cameras with small buffers will also have slow write speeds, meaning a 100 MB/s card will have the exact same performance as a 45MB/s card - and cost three times as much.

Back