Fat balls?

Edit My Images
Yes
It's widely known that your meant to take fat balls out of there nets!
So why do such big companies like Guardman still sell them in nets surely its more expensive and in selling them without nets would force people into buying a ball feeder which in turn would make them more money!!

Also whilst watching winter watch I noticed a couple of times that on a couple of there locations that they filmed there were fat balls in nets hanging on bird tables!
You'd of thought that if the nets were that dangerous then they would of made sure this was dealt with!!

Last edited:
I have never heard anyone mention this anywhere else except here on TP. I've never heard any reports of birds getting caught in the nets nor have I seen any images in the news or on the internet.

I've hung fat balls out for years and never had any issues.

Have a read here and make up your own minds ;) Imo one casualty is one too many.

Have you seen a bird trapped in fatball netting?

No, never.
I have been using them for years without a single problem. They are right outside my front window, watched virtually all day by someone in the house or nextdoor neighbours house who can also see them.

Have you seen a bird trapped in fatball netting?

No I have not, neither have I witnessed anybody getting fried on an Electricity Pylon but I would not ignore the sign and climb the frigging thing. What sort of question is that anyway :shake: If you want to put fatballs out in plastic nets then that is entirely up to you and you do not need my permission. (y)

A bird has been caught with my fat balls.

No I have not, neither have I witnessed anybody getting fried on an Electricity Pylon but I would not ignore the sign and climb the frigging thing. What sort of question is that anyway :shake: If you want to put fatballs out in plastic nets then that is entirely up to you and you do not need my permission. (y)

Kepp your hair on, I'm only asking a civil question. :LOL:

I suppose that when you think about how fishermen catch fish with nets it's not so hard to believe that birds tiny little feet can become tangled up in fatball nets!! And wether people wish to believe it or not surely they look nicer in your garden out of those glow in the dark nets!!!
Luckily I don't have a problem as the birds in my garden don't touch them!!

Ive only been taking them out of the nets for a few months, i think i read it on here actually.

They look better for the photos that way too :D

I've never thought about this before but the linked RSPB site is pretty misleading as it says, "The RSPB recommends removing the food from the netting and transferring to a safe and suitable feeder." yet shows a picture of a bird trapped in a fat ball feeder!

Steve

I have to ask the question Tom, do you keep them in a net, or (just for security you understand) are they supported in a proper holder :D

They are indeed taken out of the nets and put in a squirrel safe device as my fat balls get the squirrels confused with my fat nuts.

I take my balls out of the netting, the woodpeckers knock hell out of them.................:eek:

seriously, I take the netting off and put some in a caged peanut feeder, so those pesky greedy woodies don`t knock the hell out of them in 60 seconds flat. But I always put a few in a normal ball feeder for said pesky, but loveable,woodies.

I'm in the camp that sides with caution, I know we cant avoid every dangerous situation, but with regard to wildlife, if these hazards are man made, then we have a responsibility to take every care not to cause death or injury.

I too havent seen a bird trapped in a feeder or net, but personally I have never used anything but feeders recommended by bodies like the RSPB or BTO so perhaps I am less likely to see a problem on my property.

There are plenty of reports of birds being killed or injured on these feeder nets, enough to make me be cautious.

There's no denying that they can get caught. look at them flying into mist netting when they are being caught and ringed, once they have flown into the net they cant get out. Yes, its a different style net, one that designed for that purpose, but essentially the same principle applies to any close net.

If there's any doubt, why not play on the safe side, its costs little or nothing apart from a few seconds to remove the net.

Fatballs,Grey Squirrels and a rifle, a perfect trio.................:D

Another thing worth mentioning is when the fat ball gets broken down to a small enough size, it can drop through the fall ball feeder onto the ground which can be very dangerous for dogs.

I have seen a bird trapped by the mesh. The fat balls I buy dont come in mesh but when I have bought mesh ones - I remove it.

We had a starling get it's head stuck in the regular seed feeder last winter...not sure how we're supposed to plan against that :LOL:

dinners said:
Another thing worth mentioning is when the fat ball gets broken down to a small enough size, it can drop through the fall ball feeder onto the ground which can be very dangerous for dogs.

I have seen a bird trapped by the mesh. The fat balls I buy dont come in mesh but when I have bought mesh ones - I remove it.

Can I ask why this is dangerous for dogs! As I have a dog?

Can I ask why this is dangerous for dogs! As I have a dog?

Dogs often hoover up broken fat balls and I know of a few occasions where mesh has been eaten and has led to problems.

It was only yesterday I read on a dog forum about a dog having a blockage due to bird feed mesh.

I've heard that the netting around fat balls can catch birds, though I have never seen it happen.

In our garden the problem is not with the netting, but with the fat balls themselves - if there is anything else available almost all the birds leave them alone.

The best fat products we've used are the square fat cakes; they seem to be attractive at all times, and home made ones - a mixture of melted suet and seeds in a coconut shell or yoghurt pot hung out when it has set.

Dave

I always make my own with melted suet, then add a few seeds and meal worm and pour into square moulds. I hang these in the square metal feeders.

Try meal worn, they are quite tasty :D

Back