Father and Son/ Mum and Son

Status
Not open for further replies.
And the fathers expression does not flatter him.

I'm not getting this, the guy is smiling thats his expression in the photo, ok i doubt he is ever going to make it onto the front cover of mens health magazine, but his expression is what it is.

If that means getting someone to change how they're smiling - then do it.

How so ? like i said above a persons expression is what it is, this is not a model shoot, you can tell a model to change their pose or expression, but a person will smile/ laugh as they do in normal life :shrug:

Lets just say some have history

Also jumping on about being paid when that's no where near

Some are to quick to want to put you down, that's a fact

Regardless of what history you may have with some of the people posting in this thread, it doesn't make the critique offered in this thread any less valid. So you jumping on them for it is silly.

If there was something wrong, or personal in my crit then report the post. Else as I said, people have done nothing but try & help you. It's patently obvious from your response you can't find an example of someone "attacking" you

You have been a pain in the arse to me since I first come on here, you follow my posts round like a lost puppy making stupid jokes

I don't want to know you or care for your criticism or jokes

Go bother someone else FFS

I'm not getting this, the guy is smiling thats his expression in the photo, ok i doubt he is ever going to make it onto the front cover of mens health magazine, but his expression is what it is.

How so ? like i said above a persons expression is what it is, this is not a model shoot, you can tell a model to change their pose or expression, but a person will smile/ laugh as they do in normal life :shrug:

Thank you
H

Regardless of what history you may have with some of the people posting in this thread, it doesn't make the critique offered in this thread any less valid. So you jumping on them for it is silly.

Have I *jumped* on everyone
criticism is not critique
Anyone can be negative and some just only want to be that
Some is invalid as it offers no help just negativity

Last edited:
I'm not getting this, the guy is smiling thats his expression in the photo, ok i doubt he is ever going to make it onto the front cover of mens health magazine, but his expression is what it is.:

Each of us produces a range of expressions, some flattering, some less so. As photographer it's up to us to get the best from our subjects. His expression is not simply what it is at all. I don't think the photographer got the best from the subject at all in this case

You have been a pain in the arse to me since I first come on here, you follow my posts round like a lost puppy making stupid jokes

I don't want to know you or care for your criticism or jokes

Go bother someone else FFS

Don't post threads on a public forum for comment then. Simples. If you can show just one comment I've left you that's untrue I'm all ears

Why am I not surprised @ hugh digging me it's his only fun in life

I got the best from the child, that was what was important to the parents

If you think you could have made much more with the Father, you are kidding yourself as you were not there at the time. out of about 50 of him, that was far from the worst

You can't make a silk purse out of a pigs ear

I don't think the photographer got the best from the subject at all in this case

So in the spirit of constructive critique, what expression would you have given him ?

Don't post threads on a public forum for comment then. Simples. If you can show just one comment I've left you that's untrue I'm all ears

Here you go again trying to stop people from posting

When you are running the place let me know, until then stick your advice

Have I *jumped* on everyone
criticism is not critique
Anyone can be negative and some just only want to be that
Some is invalid as it offers no help just negativity

Hugh commented on your poor masking, lighting and the skin tones, then you told him (in a thinly veiled roundabout way) to shut the **** up. Whatever problems you have with him personally elsewhere on the forum, that's out of order. It's doing yourself no favours, as you seem to be dismissing whatever he says out of hand, when he is giving you points that would clearly improve your photography if you worked on them.

Why am I not surprised @ hugh digging me it's his only fun in life

I got the best from the child, that was what was important to the parents

If you think you could have made much more with the Father, you are kidding yourself as you were not there at the time. out of about 50 of him, that was far from the worst

You can't make a silk purse out of a pigs ear

From what I've seen here and in a couple of other threads, you appear to have more issues than Hugh. I suggest you drop it and carry on with your life.

I'm sure the father in the photo would love to hear how you refer to him here as well... :|

So in the spirit of constructive critique, what expression would you have given him ?

I wasn't there. I've never met him, but you shoot enough studio stuff, do you not direct expressions?

Last edited:
Here you go again trying to stop people from posting

When you are running the place let me know, until then stick your advice

You'll forgive me, but what was wrong with my statement. If you don't want c & c don't post in a public crit forum. If you have an issue with what I've said report it.

You'll forgive me, but what was wrong with my statement. If you don't want c & c don't post in a public crit forum. If you have an issue with what I've said report it.

I'm not going to report you like a silly girl,
You carry on looking the fool you are

constructive critique
Get yourself an iron next time your are out

Last edited:
you shoot enough studio stuff, do you not direct expressions?

When i shoot with models yes i do, with clients it's different, they want to have natural looks and expressions, otherwise it's going to stand out like a sore thumb to family and friends, like i indicated originally, the guy is not going to win any prizes for britain's next top male model, however he looks happy enough in the photo, he hardly looks miserable does he ? you don't have to be there to see that do you ?

You can see how he looks in the photo, i asked you in the spirit of constructive critique, how would you have done it differently, you said you didn't know you wasn't there, in which case why make the comment in the first place ?

When i shoot with models yes i do, with clients it's different, they want to have natural looks and expressions, otherwise it's going to stand out like a sore thumb to family and friends, like i indicated originally, the guy is not going to win any prizes for britain's next top male model, however he looks happy enough in the photo, he hardly looks miserable does he ? you don't have to be there to see that do you ?

You can see how he looks in the photo, i asked you in the spirit of constructive critique, how would you have done it differently, you said you didn't know you wasn't there, in which case why make the comment in the first place ?

Because he likes having a pop at me

Last edited by a moderator:

I made the comment because it was part of my C & C. I stand by it. Its far from a flattering expression and yes, I would of posed him differently and directed him.Without having met him I can't say how.

I'm assuming its OK if my constructive comments stand. Nowhere have I referred to him as either a 'pigs ear' or 'not going to win any prizes for being a top model'

Why because it shows you up for the hypocrite you are, too happy to have digs at anyone not so happy when your own work is crap

As I keep saying, if you don't like proper C & C either report it if you feel I was personal, or don't post photos.

Even if I had posted that gallery for crit then you think thats constructive do you. No? As said, its both against the rules, and now very personal. Please grow up a little

I made the comment because it was part of my C & C. I stand by it...... Nowhere have I referred to him as either a 'pigs ear' or 'not going to win any prizes for being a top model'

No you haven't but this "Its far from a flattering expression" indicates as much to me, as the guy is smiling, and i doubt he can help the way he smiles can he.

Having had a look as your portrait site, you ain't got the right to cc anyone, you clearly should not be telling anyone about posing

As I keep saying, if you don't like proper C & C either report it if you feel I was personal, or don't post photos.

Even if I had posted that gallery for crit then you think thats constructive do you. No? As said, its both against the rules, and now very personal. Please grow up a little

I would be happy to never engage with you but you keep following me around,*it's your right*

it's you that needs to grow up

No you haven't but this "Its far from a flattering expression" indicates as much to me, as the guy is smiling, and i doubt he can help the way he smiles can he.

As a photographer its up to you to get the best from your subjects. As I've said a few times now I don't think this was the case. So it formed part of my C & C. Thats not any comment about him. Its simply saying 'I don't think you have got the best from him'.

I also said
I was debating writing this or not.
. I wonder why I said that?

Having had a look as your portrait site, you ain't got the right to cc anyone, you clearly should not be telling anyone about posing

Sigh.

He's still made valid points in this thread though. And what about me, Mark, or any of the other posters who agree or who have made similar points regarding your photo?

If you have time to respond to anyone else during your vendetta, feel free to check out my websites to see if I have the right to an opinion in your eyes or not.

I was debating writing this or not.
I also said . I wonder why I said that?

Doh!
you have a fixation on posting on threads I do *it's your right* so you keep saying and if I want you to stop, I have to stop posting
You want to bully me out of posting, that's the truth

Last edited:
As a photographer its up to you to get the best from your subjects. As I've said a few times now I don't think this was the case. So it formed part of my C & C. Thats not any comment about him. Its simply saying 'I don't think you have got the best from him'.

I also said . I wonder why I said that?

I couldn't agree more with what i have highlighted, however has it ocurred to you perhaps she thought she had ? you said you don't think this was the case, thats not constructive critque, thats your opinion, constructive critque is showing how you would have done it different, not just giving an opinion.

"I also said I was debating writing this or not"

This is just an observation now, and i'm not telling you what to do, but maybe it's time to call it a day on H's threads

Last edited:
I couldn't agree more with what i have highlighted, however has it ocurred to you perhaps she thought she had ? you said you don't think this was the case, thats not constructive critque, thats your opinion, constructive critque is showing how you would have done it different, not just giving an opinion.

think we'll go round in circles on that point now. I'm going to maintain that constructive crit. If you disagree thats cool. There seems little point going over it again

"I also said I was debating writing this or not"

This is just an observation now, and i'm not telling you what to do, but maybe it's time to call it a day on H's threads

Thats fair enough, but can I just point out that with my 'fixation'. I've only ever posted on very few (4 I think) of Helen's C & C threads, plus one that seemed to be aimed squarely at me in other sections of the forum.

Now as a forum we've also been fighting to improve the quality of C & C given And (I know you disagree with me on one point, we'll just agree to differ (y)) I'm stuffed if one member is going to stop me doing that, anywhere.

14 posts, half a page, I'd call that a fixation.

I leave my images open to edit, unlike some, any tone changes could have been done and explained how they were.

The posing in the first was difficult with a lively 6 month old, getting them both looking and smiling at the same time, is a one in a 100 or more, the criticism is pathetic as anyone knows you only have a small window of opportunity with a small child.

If you could get the Father to pose better, how you going to control the 6 month old child

If there are any professionals in the house that can tell me under those circumstances how I would have got the pose far better, let me know

Last edited:
In all fairness Helen i think you need to re read whats been written, nothing is bad, everyone has has critiqued well but your response is straight on the defensive as soon as more than 2-3 people say the same thing....

I do notice you have a serious issue with hugh and this seems to be a serious negative effect with you... as soon as he posted you was on the attack.. post 3 ish i think...

Just relax nobody is having ago and personally digging you out but you are making it worse with your responses

Enjoy the forum it is actually a rather lovely place(y)

Helen,
Whilst you mark your images as open to edit sometimes for the vast amount of people on here who wish to help you or others for that matter working with the original RAW file is better. Reworking a JPEG is not always the best especially as part of a learning curve.

Having read this thread from start to finish I do believe people are trying to help you.
If you have a dislike of Hugh that is fine but in all honesty his original opening comments were constructive criticism and I'm sure given the chance he would have happily helped you out with the masking/ideas on posing.

Remember that an evocative image of parent and child doesn't have to involve both looking at the camera. You could have had them side on, dad holding son up and looking into each others eyes - equally powerful but a different pose. Again this is just an example of posing people and what you could have done personally.

Yes child photography is hectic I'm sure (hell i'm dipping my toes into that field myself) but it doesn't do any harm to make sure you have all the basics covered in your mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
Helen,
Whilst you mark your images as open to edit sometimes for the vast amount of people on here who wish to help you or others for that matter working with the original RAW file is better. Reworking a JPEG is not always the best especially as part of a learning curve.

Having read this thread from start to finish I do believe people are trying to help you.
If you have a dislike of Hugh that is fine but in all honesty his original opening comments were constructive criticism and I'm sure given the chance he would have happily helped you out with the masking/ideas on posing.

Remember that an evocative image of parent and child doesn't have to involve both looking at the camera. You could have had them side on, dad holding son up and looking into each others eyes - equally powerful but a different pose. Again this is just an example of posing people and what you could have done personally.

Yes child photography is hectic I'm sure (hell i'm dipping my toes into that field myself) but it doesn't do any harm to make sure you have all the basics covered in your mind.

Do you think I only tried one pose....... give me a break please

Well done on the none smoking

H

Thank you.. but do you not think that's rude to not respond/totally blank the advice that is given?

TBH in all fairness even reading your replies perhaps it would be wise to not post photos to critique until you can change your attitude because you are going to get a lot of people's backs up that are/were trying to help

Last edited:
In all fairness Helen i think you need to re read whats been written, nothing is bad:

I would have to disagree to an extent, yes some is ok, but some downright rude, one person saying the photo is crap, thats not constructive, and only fuels the already volatile fire, yes sometimes H does go on the defensive, however i have seen a pattern emerging sometimes where people seem to jump on the bandwagon, there are obvious issues with Hugh, thats why i mentioned staying away from H,s posts, however that is his choice

This above, good positive constructive critique, which can/will/should help the op (y)

PS @ Stupar, very nice images on flickr (y)

Thank you.. but do you not think that's rude to not respond/totally blank the advice that is given?

TBH in all fairness even reading your replies perhaps it would be wise to not post photos to critique until you can change your attitude because you are going to get a lot of people's backs up that are/were trying to help

I did not reply as I don't agree with what you said about that individual and don't want to talk about them any more, they will only want to start posting again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back