Faulty D Lite 2

Name
Brian
Edit My Images
Yes
I was setting up a head shoot for later today and I noticed that one of my D Elinchrom Lite 2's is only flashing about 1 in 3. This applies whether I am firing remotely or simply using the test button - it applies throughout the power range and I am waiting for the capicitor fully charge between shots. I may be wrong but I would have assumed a faulty light tube would just stop working and that would be that. I can't see evidence of any discolouration on the glass tube. Can anyone advise whether this likely to be faulty light tube or should I look elsewhere? Thanks.

Don't know if the D'Lite has a user replaceable flash tube but if it has you may try seating it with a firm push. I had the same problem with a Quadra head. A slightly firm push was all that was required.

Regards...

Don't know if the D'Lite has a user replaceable flash tube but if it has you may try seating it with a firm push. I had the same problem with a Quadra head. A slightly firm push was all that was required.

Regards...
Hi - many thanks for your input. I have checked the tube and it seems to be properly seated. Interestingly I spent a bit more time with it after this and it have noticed that it rarely fires on minimum setting but always seems to fire on maximum setting. After pressing the test button where it hasn't fired, it still goes through the motions of recharging, with the usual delay before the beep sounds. I think I will just ditch it, as equivalent units are not particularly expensive.

Hi - many thanks for your input. I have checked the tube and it seems to be properly seated. Interestingly I spent a bit more time with it after this and it have noticed that it rarely fires on minimum setting but always seems to fire on maximum setting. After pressing the test button where it hasn't fired, it still goes through the motions of recharging, with the usual delay before the beep sounds. I think I will just ditch it, as equivalent units are not particularly expensive.
In that case, it seems that the flash tube is reaching the end of its life. Your best bet is to contact The Flash Centre and ask for their advice, you probably need this flash tube.

In that case, it seems that the flash tube is reaching the end of its life. Your best bet is to contact The Flash Centre and ask for their advice, you probably need this flash tube.

Thanks Garry - I will try swapping the tube from my other D Lite over as a check, hopefully it will indeed be the flash tube.

Not sure why I didnt try this to begin with but at least I now know. Both tubes are working perfectly in one monobloc but not the other. Faulty monobloc it is. On the bright side I now have a spare flash tube and modelling bulb for future use.

I've had three (maybe four) d-lite 2's fail on me over the years, for me the problem was with the unit itself, in all cases the units would misfire (and eventually not work at all) at lower settings - all worked fine at higher settings (one that i still own will only work at a minimum of 3.6) - I did a bit of research into this a couple of years back and the cause of the fault seemed to point at constantly using the units on low settings

I've had three (maybe four) d-lite 2's fail on me over the years, for me the problem was with the unit itself, in all cases the units would misfire (and eventually not work at all) at lower settings - all worked fine at higher settings (one that i still own will only work at a minimum of 3.6) - I did a bit of research into this a couple of years back and the cause of the fault seemed to point at constantly using the units on low settings

Thanks Colda - your problem is identical to mine - it has now stopped firing completely at anything below 2.8. I must admit I do use them a fair bit at low powers and so your explanation would seem entirely plausible. I know that it is worth forming the capacitors on Speedlites at full power regularly and perhaps there is value in doing similar with larger studio lights. Perhaps you or Garry have information on this?

Not too sure on any kind of maintenance on the capacitors (beyond firing them at full power 5 or 6 times in the event of a misfire) - I've been using Elinchrom for years and the Swiss made stuff is fine, I've got an old 250 that started pumping out smoke but once the air cleared and it had cooled a little it continued to work just fine. After giving up on the d-lites I got old style 300s that have been awesome and some bxri's which are good but the built-in skyports in the 250s misfire too often and the 500 plays up from time to time in the same way the d-lites did but this can be 'reset' by firing at full power a few times, my guess is that there now exists some sort of protection circuit inside the units (the trouble free 300s units a Swiss made - the bxri units are made in India)

[quote="colda, post: 6228705, member: de stuff is fine, I've got an old 250 that started pumping out smoke but once the air cleared and it had cooled a little it continued to work just fine. After giving up on the d-lites I got old style 300s that have been awesome and some bxri's which are good but the built-in skyports in the 250s misfire too often and the 500 plays up from time to time in the same way the d-lites did but this can be 'reset' by firing at full power a few times, my guess is that there now exists some sort of protection circuit inside the units (the trouble free 300s units a Swiss made - the bxri units are made in India)[/quote]
Interesting stuff - I am a little disappointed that our shared issue seems to be quite common. I have also been speaking to JennyGW who posted an identical issue a few days after me. She is going to be speaking to the Flash Centre about the issue and it will be interesting to hear their take on this. I know they arent pro spec models but I wouldnt have expected this to be such a common problem. I will let you know if I hear anything.

Back