Faux Tilt Shift Attempt

as a tilt shift it doesn't really work. subject is to far away and taken from the wrong angle ( tilt shift works better from high up shooting down ) so there's nothing in foreground or behind to give the appearance of tilt shift or scale so the houses dont really look miniaturized

A more appropriate subject would help. You need detail running from front to back of the frame, with a clear progression away from the camera so that the out of focus effect will show up. Here you have a blank sky that cannot be blurred progressively, and that makes the effect fail.

Just my opinion, but I think the tilt-shift miniaturisation effect requires very sparing use. I may have once, ever, in my whole life, seen a picture where it was used beneficially.

as a tilt shift it doesn't really work. subject is to far away and taken from the wrong angle ( tilt shift works better from high up shooting down )
A more appropriate subject would help. You need detail running from front to back of the frame, with a clear progression away from the camera so that the out of focus effect will show up. Here you have a blank sky that cannot be blurred progressively, and that makes the effect fail.
Thanks for the feedback. Can see what your both saying! Will have another go!
It's not something I want to do all the time, just wanted to have a go at it in LR!!

tried myself on a couple of shots in the past.. not quite the right angle but was fun to try.

9350465906_02ca544e74_c.jpg

9347681419_fd46e8ce0d_c.jpg

not quite successful but may try again if i can get right location, angle and subject

tried myself on a couple of shots in the past.. not quite the right angle but was fun to try.

They look good. Can see how it works with having the frame filled (not with sky like mine lol)

I've tried once using the in camera app on my Fuji XT1 - might have to play again, here is my first attempt :)

Looks good.

I used a GoPro on a Phantom quadcopter! Gonna have to send it up higher next time!!

I really like these (y) Can anyone recommend a free TS prog I could download, or if not, a site I could upload a picture to?

I tried one a couple of years ago but wasn't impressed so uninstalled it, but I think things have moved on.

I know someone who gets amazing results on her iPhone, but I want to do it on my PC and possibly tie it in with other editing tools.

Last edited:
I really like these (y) Can anyone recommend a free TS prog I could download, or upload a picture to?

I tried one a couple of years ago but wasn't impressed so uninstalled it, but I think things have moved on.

I know someone who gets amazing results on her iPhone, but I want to do it on my PC and possibly tie it in with other editing tools.
Afraid I can't help with free as I used Lightroom to do mine. Sure someone will know of a free one though.

I really like these (y) Can anyone recommend a free TS prog I could download, or if not, a site I could upload a picture to?

TS is built into cs5 and above ( i think 5 anyway i know its in 6 and cc ) its under FILTER , then blur

Thanks guys ... I don't use/have photoshop but Paint.Net is pretty much the same so I can do it "manually" following more-or-less what the guy said in the video.

For some reason I thought there was more to TS than blurring some parts and sharpening/colour-boosting others ... but no, it's as simple as that!

(y)

Last edited:
You should be able to do it Paint.net, if it has a manual selection tool, feather selection and guassian blur.

Back