Faux vintage pinup girl shots

Name
Leigh
Edit My Images
Yes
After a bit of an unplanned break from photography (I've simply had no time for it lately, which is unacceptable!), I attended a session of Dr Sketchy's Anti Art School in London last weekend - it's a silly drawing session where people drink too much in a pub and draw burlesque performers. Of course I went primarily to draw but they also allow photography so I took along my Fujifilm FinePix X100 and snapped away some shots inbetween drawings. I then processed them through Silver Efex Pro to get a suitable vintage look to suit the subject matter.

I had a lot of fun doing this and can't wait to go shoot another batch next week!

Any feedback is more than welcome. I hope you enjoy them!

Slinky Sparkles by onona, on Flickr

Last edited:
I cheekily left the stuff in the mirrors because I thought it would be an amusing anachronism. Yeah 5 is very dark. I wanted it dark because I wanted dramatic chiaroscuro, but I do think I may have gone a little overboard.

Thanks for the reply! I'll edit the post to add some numbers in.

I like the set and the processing, great stuff.

I've been to a few Dr Sketchy's around the country now and always had a good time, Slinky is such a pretty girl and a fabulous performer too.

Love the vintage toning on the images, the last one is a little too dark for me though.

Really, really like this set - and impressed by the use the X100 has been put to.

Not sure about the 'anachronistic' bit - I think I would have either avoided their inclusion or perhaps PS'd them out.

I have an X100 so this is quite encouraging for me as 'people' is, (sic), the reason I bought the camera.

Can't wait for the next installment:clap:

Hey that looks great fun cool pics love em.

Thanks for the replies and compliments, much appreciated.

Really, really like this set - and impressed by the use the X100 has been put to.

I adore this camera. I love the fact that it's so low profile, and its low light performance is excellent. I also love the fact that it's a relatively wide prime, because it forces you to get onto your feet and shoot in a different way to a DSLR, especially since I have a tendency to hide behind telephotos when using my DSLR. All of these images are, however, crops from larger images, because I couldn't get closer than I was.

Not sure about the 'anachronistic' bit - I think I would have either avoided their inclusion or perhaps PS'd them out.

Avoidance wasn't an option due to the room being absolutely jam-packed with people drawing her - it would have been rude to stumble around looking for a better spot, but in an ideal world, you'd be absolutely right on that one. I'm not really into shopping stuff out though; perhaps I'm a bit too much of a purist when it comes to photography, but I still feel strange about removing elements from an image. Maybe this is something I should re-evaluate though.

Love the set and I like the faces in the mirror, makes the scene more like a real live show rather than a posed photoshoot.

Joe

I like these alot, they could almost be old postcards. I agree, number 5 is a bit dark. Great stuff though.

perhaps I'm a bit too much of a purist when it comes to photography, but I still feel strange about removing elements from an image. Maybe this is something I should re-evaluate though.

This coment to me does not make sense. Are you telling me that what I see above is the way the images came out of the camera? If you are a purist then surely that means unedited JPEG SOC and I know the X100 a great camera but I dont think it has this toning set built in does it?

Its attention to detail and following all the way through. No ones saying slim down the model or remove her arm or anything ridiculous. You have a great set of shots there - really really good, someone has offered advice on a way to finish it off which doesnt detract from the image, only enhances it.

Thanks a million for all the replies everyone, it was nice to log in today and read them all.

Just to respond to a few points...

They are some really fun pictures, what processing did you do afterwards to achieve the old looking effect ?

I started by creating a preset in Silver Efex Pro 2 which set up the grading, noise and other basic parameters, and then fine tuned each image individually for vignettes, tonal balances, borders, etc. Silver Efex makes a lot of this stuff quite simple.

This coment to me does not make sense. Are you telling me that what I see above is the way the images came out of the camera? If you are a purist then surely that means unedited JPEG SOC and I know the X100 a great camera but I dont think it has this toning set built in does it?

Its attention to detail and following all the way through. No ones saying slim down the model or remove her arm or anything ridiculous. You have a great set of shots there - really really good, someone has offered advice on a way to finish it off which doesnt detract from the image, only enhances it.

I don't wish to get into a big argument over it, but I'm surprised that to you, the comment doesn't make sense. Removing elements, however small and insignificant, from an image is very different to adjusting tones and whatnot - the latter could be done by hand in a dark room with film, the former could not. I try not to be a purist (especially considering that my career involves image-based trickery), but I've yet to really feel fully comfortable removing things from my photos that were there. Adjusting tones and adding vignettes and whatnot do not deceive the viewer into believing anything specific, whereas removing elements does. And I'm not suggesting that any image manipulation is therefore necessarily bad or done with ignoble intent, because that would be rather silly, but I'm just not comfortable doing that stuff myself. Yet.

I certainly don't disregard the opinion that the images would be better without those particular elements, as it's a perfectly valid opinion. I acknowledge the fact that the image would be enhanced by the removal of those, but for me personally, I kinda enjoy the imperfections sometimes too. Different strokes, I guess.

No arguments here :) like you say horses for courses. I think the word purist gets bantered around a lot and is interpreted in lots of different ways :)

That's very true. Like I said, I try not to be a purist but I guess because I'm still relatively new to photography, I tend to play it safe to some extent. I also think that because my day job involves fooling people with images, I maybe, on some level, see photography as a way to do something very different.

At any rate, I always do take the advice I receive on board, as it's always valuable to hear what others think and how they feel.

Back