FCPX users - how do you organise?...

Name
Pat MacInnes
Edit My Images
Yes
Been using FCPX for about six months now and I'd like to think I have a decent grasp of its features.

However, the actual organising of files is annoying me because it's so different to my stills catalogue (in LR3).

My main problem is keeping files tightly organised in relevance to a specific job. At the moment I'm grabbing the video files off the camera and then manually dragging them into a folder for that specific job (for example, 'SEA FISHING - PLUGGING FOR BASS').

I have an event folder for each magazine I work on, which is named using the magazine acronym. When I import files into that specific event then it puts them all in one place, as opposed to Lightroom where each set of images is kept in its sub-folder. What then happens is each event has several dated section (for when the footage was shot) but I can't just directly access each job, I have to scroll through the whole event library to find files.

I don't keyword - should I? Will this help with organising? - but my fear about keywords is that when there's a clash of keywords that are shared between two or more shoots, then I'm getting a mixture of footage and not one specific job.

Any help or advice is appreciated :)

I just don't get FCPX why does it use valuable screen space showing you all the media on your system when all you need is the media associated with the current job? Apple have re invented not only the time line but also file media management. Event folders??? I wish they hadn't bothered with the radical shake up and just updated FCP7 it should have have been the dominant NLE instead of the sad dying thing it is today.

I just don't get FCPX why does it use valuable screen space showing you all the media on your system when all you need is the media associated with the current job? Apple have re invented not only the time line but also file media management. Event folders??? I wish they hadn't bothered with the radical shake up and just updated FCP7 it should have have been the dominant NLE instead of the sad dying thing it is today.

I'd not used the old version of FCP but the guys at work who did use it say the new one is frustratingly overcomplicated.

Like you say, there's a lot of space taken up showing things that aren't required all the time, although I bought Event Manager X ($8) and it allows you to control just what is 'active' at any one time - effectively, as you deselect projects and events it moves them into a 'not in use' folder so FCPX isn't trying to load them up. When you want to use those projects, then you just recheck the box and it makes 'live' the files you want.

That said, the actual interface is poor on a single screen - I wish they'd made the timeline a seperate element and then had the inspector and file management another element so you could flip between them - would have made more sense

Back