FD lens

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
No
Did canon or anyone ever make a 35mm fd lens? I have the 28mm and the 50mm but want something in the middle. I’ve seen a 35-70 lens but I’d rather a faster prime

Watch out for the radioactive glass!

Thanks to Ben calling my attention to it, I've just ordered one! Radioactive, naturally.

I've still got my Canon FD kit, some FD but mainly FDn, 17mm, 24mm, 28mm, 35mm and 50mm. All very common other than the lovely 17mm F4. 35mm was a great walk about focal length.

I thought it was the FD 35mm 1:2 S.S.C. that was the radioactive one :thinking:
Wasn't it the 55mm lens. I googled it. 35mm was the f2.0 lens or so google says.

Last edited:
35mm 1:2 is the alternative way of writing 35mm f/2 - giving the aperture as a ratio rather than a fraction. On the Canon lens, I think that the earlier designs of the 35mm f/2 used thorium glass, and that this was continued into the earlier (at least) SSC variants. But I may be wrong, and I don't have a Geiger counter to make a test when the lens arrives.

I think I have at least two radioactive lenses at the moment :eek:

Wasn't it the 55mm lens. I googled it. 35mm was the f2.0 lens or so google says.

there's the 55mm russian one that's definitely radioactive, i've got one on my Fed3a... (industar 61 if my hazy old brain serves me correctly)

I thought it was the FD 35mm 1:2 S.S.C. that was the radioactive one :thinking:
Yes, it has a thorium glass element, which is also prone to turning yellow.
Apparently the yellowing can be cured by leaving it in sunlight for a while.
The radoactivity is so low as not to be hazardous.

Back