Feathering the light advice

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Guys,

I know how to feather a light but I'm wondering whether I can use more than one light to create a larger softer light. I have two 48 inch octaboxes and I was wondering how best to use these together. Would I be able to sit both side by side from one side of a baby or should I try and get one on top of the other by adjusting the light stands.

Anyone did this before? I'm going out to try it this week in my new studio but thought I'd ask for advice here.

Regards

Scott

Yes you can bank softboxes to have them act as one, but...

Octa’s aren’t particularly great for this due to the shape

Surely one 48” octa is big enough for a baby.

Probably more than enough but just interested in trying it out. Really enjoying messing with lights without having to pack them away after use.

Probably more than enough but just interested in trying it out. Really enjoying messing with lights without having to pack them away after use.
Nothing wrong with experimenting as a rule, but when shooting babies and newborns I want as little kit knocking about as possible.

If we use the simple rule of ‘a softbox should be the same size as the subject’ (one we break all the time by using smaller) then the big octa is already overkill.

Nothing wrong with experimenting as a rule, but when shooting babies and newborns I want as little kit knocking about as possible.

If we use the simple rule of ‘a softbox should be the same size as the subject’ (one we break all the time by using smaller) then the big octa is already overkill.
Even at a distance of just a few inches from the subject "same size" is too small to produce wrap around lighting, and every time we double the distance the effective size will reduce to a quarter...

Even at a distance of just a few inches from the subject "same size" is too small to produce wrap around lighting, and every time we double the distance the effective size will reduce to a quarter...
But a 40” octa is plenty for an 18” baby.
And I’ll stand by the H&S decision to avoid multiple stands close to a baby.

borrow a doll from someone and try to configure the lights to get the effect your after
i agree with phil you want as little as possible near babies or your children
your just tempting fate

But a 40” octa is plenty for an 18” baby.
And I’ll stand by the H&S decision to avoid multiple stands close to a baby.
I agree, and babies don't even need soft lighting unless they're being held by their grandmother... H&S must always come first.
I was just making the point that size is relative to distance.

Hi Guys,

I know how to feather a light but I'm wondering whether I can use more than one light to create a larger softer light. I have two 48 inch octaboxes and I was wondering how best to use these together. Would I be able to sit both side by side from one side of a baby or should I try and get one on top of the other by adjusting the light stands.

Anyone did this before? I'm going out to try it this week in my new studio but thought I'd ask for advice here.

Regards

Scott

If you really want big light sources then it can be easier to bounce off v flats or shoot through a diffuser / silk.

If you really want big light sources then it can be easier to bounce off v flats or shoot through a diffuser / silk.
I like the "light a silk with a softbox method." I usually just hang it off of a boom arm or C-stand, but another method I've used is to clamp the silk between two adjustable painter's poles. Put cane/crutch feet on them to protect the ceiling (not black ones) and extend floor to ceiling... also works ok for BG's. If you get the poles in place snug enough they are not going to fall/knock over easily (much better than cheap/unweighted stands)... and your hot/heavy stuff is even farther away.

I like the "light a silk with a softbox method." I usually just hang it off of a boom arm or C-stand, but another method I've used is to clamp the silk between two adjustable painter's poles. Put cane/crutch feet on them to protect the ceiling (not black ones) and extend floor to ceiling... also works ok for BG's. If you get the poles in place snug enough they are not going to fall/knock over easily (much better than cheap/unweighted stands)... and your hot/heavy stuff is even farther away.

DIY autopole.. I like it. I have some painters poles I use as lightstands with these when a traditional 3-footed stand isn't appropriate.

Back