Beginner Features for a child's 1st camera

Edit My Images
Yes
My 10yr old son is interested in art and photography and we plan on buying him his first digital camera this summer.

The choice for a point and shoot is huge. I would like to get him something with a bit of zoom. Also thinking about wifi. I have lightroom on his iPad and thought he could transfer photos to it via wifi.

If anyone can advise I'd be very grateful. I want it to b easy to use and for him to have control over basic editing.

Budget £100 to £200.

Consider p&s, bridge or even m43 if user friendly.

Thanks.

I was 10 when I got my first camera, a Kodak Instamatic :D

I don't know what's available in budget and you'll know your son and his capabilities but I bet at 10 he'll figure out a camera or probably any piece of tech quite quickly and if not maybe he'll google his way to any answers he needs.

Maybe take a look at MTF or APS-C? I like the RF style MFT cameras so I have Panasonic GX80 and GX9 but I'm constantly tempted by the Sony A6xxx series.

I've recently picked up a Fuji XP140 for my 9 year old daughter's first camera. She absolutely loves it. It's very robust (shock and waterproof) and takes a suprisingly decent photo.
I throw it on auto mode for her currently and she happily snaps away.

There’s a Fuji x10 on eBay for around £150 (plus p&p). These are really well built and take a hammering.

Invest the other £40 odd in a SD card reader for the pad.

As someone who is not a child but who has child sized hands, make sure he can actually hold it! There are cameras that most people wouldn't consider particularly large, but I can't hold them in any practical way with the intention of using them.

at that price point. I'd consider a phone, but being 10, depending on how careful he/she is, consider something that can withstand a drop or two

Nowt wrong with the camera, but your legs don’t substitute for zoom ;)

I agree with you now. But at the beginning of my photography life I had a 35mm fixed lens film camera and it was great fun and awesome for learning my craft.

I had it simply because my father bought it home from work (he worked for Kodak) but actually I loved it I think because it’s limitations taught me to be a better photographer. When I did get my first SLR (and zoom lens) I already had the foundations to build on which is what I think is missing a lot nowadays.

That said - we all have different paths to where we want to get to. None of them are right or wrong :)

They’re both cracking Fuji’s with some fun features and are built to take a bit of a beating.

I was 10 when I got my first camera, a Kodak Instamatic :D

I don't know what's available in budget and you'll know your son and his capabilities but I bet at 10 he'll figure out a camera or probably any piece of tech quite quickly and if not maybe he'll google his way to any answers he needs.

Maybe take a look at MTF or APS-C? I like the RF style MFT cameras so I have Panasonic GX80 and GX9 but I'm constantly tempted by the Sony A6xxx series.
I would go for a bridge camera like the Fujifilm HS30 Sony RX10 or Panasonic FZ1000 to get a much more useful lens range with out loosing manual control or a viewfinder. Having a mirror less or DSLR means you'll need a bag of lenses to get the most out of the camera.

Back