Critique Feedback/Advice wanted

Name
Lee
Edit My Images
Yes
Whilst on holiday I took the oportunity to photograph at the Eden Project and Newquay Harbour.
My two main aims were, to capture water movement using longer exposures, and test the ability/limitation of my Sigma 300mm lens. I'v not played with these images, they are as they came off the card.
I would welcome your feedback and advice.

To tell the truth, I am very much a beginner when it comes to DSLR, these were captured using manual modes (Shutter Priority & Appeture Priority)

Body is a Canon 1100D

Waterfall
EXP: 1/30 sec
ISO: 100
F-Stop: f/9
Lens: Sigma 70-300mm

Boat In Harbour
EXP: 1/1250 sec
F-Stop: f/4
Lens: Sigma 70-300mm

Love the waterfall. Can't wait to find somewhere like that to try for myself

Hi Lee, you have captured the movement of the water nicely indeed IMO, not sure about missing the source/direct feed helps so I take it it is much higher up ? #2 not sure what you are trying to capture the boat or the people?

I like them both, you've presented a well composed waterfall with nice blurry water and I like the overall scene in the second and feel the inclusion of people as well as the boats is a good idea.

Hi Lee, you have captured the movement of the water nicely indeed IMO, not sure about missing the source/direct feed helps so I take it it is much higher up ? #2 not sure what you are trying to capture the boat or the people?

Thanks Kevin, here is the un-crop version including the source, it was taken inside the Dome hence I cropped. Need to master photoshop for this one.

Oh right so man made features about not that is a bad thing, going to really test you now where is the end of the waerfall then ?

Last edited:
Essentially I was trying to test the capability of my 300mm Sigma lens, the boat was quite a distance away, I really wanted the DOF to blur the people, but when I got them out of focus so was the boat, any tips?

Sorry Lee no tips, I'm affraied I dont have a focul lengh of 300mm, only advice I can offer is, if I'm not happy with what I see then dont press the shutter

However their are plenty of fellow members who will I'm sure be able to help out

Last edited:
Hi I had a look at the boat photo for you
Manufacturer: Canon
Camera: Canon EOS 1100D
Date: 06.09.2014 14:59:20
Aperture: f 4.0
Shutter speed: 1/1250 s
EV ±0,00 EV
Program: A - Aperture-priority auto
Metering mode: Multisegment
Flash: Not fired, Compulsory flash light
Zoom: 119.0 mm Real
Resolution: 4272 x 2848 Pixel
File size: 4805903 Bytes
Flash:: Not fired, Compulsory flash light
Orientation: 0° / Z:Top S:left
Date last Modification: 06.09.2014 14:59:20
YCbCr Positioning: Zero point
Copyright:
EXIF Version: V 2.30
Date Digitized: 06.09.2014 14:59:20
FlashPix Version: V 1.00
CCD Resolution: 4720 x 4787 dpi
Comment:
Custom rendered: Normal process
Exposure mode I: Auto exposure
White balance I: Manual white balance
Scene capture type: Standard
Artist:

If you upload to flickr it will tell you the basic info I gave you, or download a programme called EXIF Viewer and that will give you the info I gave above,

Back