Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
do you have/had a .....

Canon FDn 35-70mm f4-------------------KR (C) review.."here"

or a

Canon FDn 35-105mm f3.5

the 35-105 is rated as one of the best...but at 600g it's almost as heavy as my FDn 70-210 f4 ..... beast..:shake:

but interested in thoughts on IQ................thanks

Last edited:
Watch out there are two versions of the FD 35-70mm and erm I have the crappy one that came with the camera.
Also the Canon 35-105 maybe excellent but my Kiron (or similar Vivitar) 28-105mm f3.2-f4.5 is more useful (esp for the VG 28mm end), but now you have to be lucky to get it cheap.

Last edited:
The 35-105 f3.5 macro is a brilliant lens, but is very heavy. I tried a 35-70 back in the day - trying to get a walkabout lens that would match the 35-105 which I could carry up and down a few mountains without hiring sherpas. After 3 rolls of shots I flogged it and went back to carrying a couple of prime lenses or putting up with the weight of the 35-105. Then the AE-1 with the 35-105 attached was nicked out of my van, and I went over to Yashica for a few years until last year, when I picked up the A-1 and dug out my old glass, and eventually re-aquired a copy of the 35-105.

I suppose there's always the FD35-105mm f/3.5-4.5 - it's about half the weight of the fixed aperture version and a fair bit cheaper, though again I understand that IQ is probably more on a par with the 35-70.

I'd like to pick up one of the FD20-35mm f/3.5L zooms personally, being a bit of a nut for wide angles, but the prices are just silly :( Seem to go for about halfway to a 24-70 f2.8 for the EOS-3!

Watch out there are two versions of the FD 35-70mm and erm I have the crappy one . .

need an original hood ...see Classifieds..withdrawn

The 35-105 f3.5 macro is a brilliant lens, but is very heavy.

.. the FD35-105mm f/3.5-4.5 - it's about half the weight of the fixed aperture version and a fair bit cheaper, though again I understand that IQ is probably more on a par with the 35-70.

thanks chaps.....

every review/forum rants on, AND ON, about the 35-105/3.5 [ eBay now £125]

the 35-105 3.5/4.5 - [ about £75] I wont be happy with IQ knowing the above BUT will I see it.?.........:shrug:

Ffordes offered me £20 for my 35-70 3.5/4.5 in P/ex for a FDn 35-70mm f4 - which gets high marks at FDReview ..."link"

offered up for sale here .:D....no takers...? it goes to Ffordes within 48hours

so my line-up is....

FDn...28mm..2.8
FD....35mm ..S.C.
FD....50mm..1.8 S.C.
FDn...35-70 f4....to come..?.....cancelled
FDn...135mm 3.5
FDn...70-210mm f4

any thoughts..?...................john
prob too many - but WTF I luv 'em

Last edited:
****so my line-up is....

FDn...28mm..2.8
FD....35mm ..S.C.
FD....50mm..1.8 S.C.
FDn...35-70 f4....to come..?.......or a 100mm 2.8 haha
FDn...135mm 3.5
FDn...70-210mm f4

any thoughts..?***

Yep:- all VG lenses except the 70-210, which is the weakest link

Yep:- all VG lenses except the 70-210, which is the weakest link

i based my decision to get the 35mm and 50mm S.C. models from ratings "here"

they show a rating of 9.4/10 for my 70-210 f4 -- so thought that was good.?

the DEED is done...:clap:

just reserved a FDn 35-105mm f3.5 reportedly EXC++ condition from Ffordes

if the FD 35-70 3.5/4.5 doesn't sell tonight - off for P/ex

ps... all Mark's fault....:LOL::LOL:

they show a rating of 9.4/10 for my 70-210 f4 -- so thought that was good.?

Well it would be if the site is reliable ;) but up against the well known lenses that can be used on a Canon e.g. Tamrons, Vivitars and Kirons, IMO would be inferior and that's why my Canon 70-210 is not used (also btw with my Canon prime 200mm f4)

Good move on the 35-105 - it really is the one lens on my FD setup that I didn't want to be without. I'd trade any of my other lenses in a heartbeat for the 35-105 - well - okay - the 50mm 1.4 ssc comes close, and there are times when only a wide aperture prime will do the job, but as a walkaround it's the dogs danglies - and it may be heavy, but the alternative is a EOS-3 and a 24-105L which is definitely a heavier overall package :shrug:

(just hope you've got big filters in stock for it - 72mm ;))

(just hope you've got big filters in stock for it - 72mm ;))

luckily [?] the Sigma 17-70mm on the Nikon D5000 is also 72mm

[I'm using a Marumi DHG Protector on it]

and have bought a Marumi DHG PL-C
plus a Cokin W/A adapter and some Grad NDs and ND

so those will fit the 72mm Canon too

just ordered a Hoya UV as a 'Protector' for the Canon glass....canceled

thanks for the link to a suitable hood - ordered that too.!

Last edited:
:LOL::LOL::LOL:

just had an order acknowledgment from China for the hood

email starts off....

"Lovely Daisy always here to supply best service for you all!.."

reminds me of Vietnam classic line

" me so horny..luv you long time...."...:eek:

I`ve just bought a 35-105 f3.5 for £62 delivered on ebay, keep a watch on some as this one did not meet its reserve and I got a second chance offer. Just need to get over man flu now to get out using it:)

I`ve just bought a 35-105 f3.5 for £62 delivered on ebay, keep a watch on some as this one did not meet its reserve and I got a second chance offer. Just need to get over man flu now to get out using it:)

Excellent - will look forward to posts

have a look above - the hood Mark recommended is identical to the original - please dont say you got one included at that price...:razz:

one section of a US forum I'm on is dedicated to " FD photos from (month)" - how niche is that..!...:D

I decided against eBay in this instance as I needed to off-load my kit 35-70mm 3.5/4.5. I dont 'do' eBay, and Ffordes offered a trade-in = less hassle

It did come with the original hood and a hoya uv filter, happy days :)

aaaaaaarrrrrgggggggggggggg.............:bang:

just had a thought

did you buy from 'prettythings' as she listed a 3.5 + hood which was actually a 3.5-4.5...."here"

and "here" with hood ..............i reported the discrepancy to eBay

have you received the 3.5 yet..?

Last edited:
Excellent - will look forward to posts

have a look above - the hood Mark recommended is identical to the original - please dont say you got one included at that price...:razz:

You mean like the one I got with my £22 posted one :LOL:

one section of a US forum I'm on is dedicated to " FD photos from (month)" - how niche is that..!...:D

Nearly as bad, but theres a flick'r group called Nifty-Fifty-Friday - you can only submit images taken on a friday with a 50mm lens !

I decided against eBay in this instance as I needed to off-load my kit 35-70mm 3.5/4.5. I dont 'do' eBay, and Ffordes offered a trade-in = less hassle

Last edited:
No it wasnt prettythings, It has arrived and is minty

Last edited:
Mmm just looked on my ebay, it wasnt £62 it was only £58, even better!!

Back