Feedback on Edits

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi a friend took some pictures at christening and ask me to edit her photos. Im just learning photography so any feedback or help would be great.

Here is originals and then my edits.

Attachments

• DSC_0363 orignal.jpg
    DSC_0363 orignal.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC_0363.jpg
    DSC_0363.jpg
    307.3 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC_0386 orignal.jpg
    DSC_0386 orignal.jpg
    264.8 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC_0386-4.jpg
    DSC_0386-4.jpg
    314.3 KB · Views: 33
Few more.

Attachments

• DSC_0394 orignal.jpg
    DSC_0394 orignal.jpg
    274.7 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC_0395.jpg
    DSC_0395.jpg
    314.8 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC_0402 orignal.jpg
    DSC_0402 orignal.jpg
    313.8 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC_0402.jpg
    DSC_0402.jpg
    343.8 KB · Views: 25
To be honest morty, you have overcooked them somewhat.

The skin tones are all ruined, the group shot in front of the church looks like they have all been burnt.

The secret to a good edit is to not be able to notice what you have done. It looks like on these you have just whacked the saturation slider up to 11.

The way you have done it would be great, just try it again being a bit more subtle. Look forward to seeing version 2.

Try lifting the shadows a little and maybe just a touch on the highlights. Remember, less is more :)

Last edited:
I'm new to editing as well and it is really challenging. The first rule is definitely 'less is more'. In my opinion a photograph needs polishing off rather than painting and varnishing, the tweaks should be subtle to make the best of the original image.

I'd also crop that first image so it's full of people and not boring walls. Nice as they are, they are just walls, and black railings, it gives people somewhere else to look, when really it should be all eyes on the baby. If you take the shadows out you can see a member of the clergy in the door staring out and into the lens, so cropping can keep him out of the shot too!

The first version of the picture wasn't wrong, it's just lacks a bit of colour refinement in my (very limited) opinion. See what you can do by easin up on the sliders a little :)

Thanks guys any better?

Attachments

• DSC_0363.jpg
    DSC_0363.jpg
    278.6 KB · Views: 24
That's a lot easier on the eyes! You can do a lot more with the image if you want, keep playing until you feel it's where you want, the good thing is everything can be undone. It's not easy is it!

I don't know if it should just the quality you have uploaded it at but it's a bit soft, is it a low res image? The original didn't look so soft, maybe it's my eyes or my glasses need a clean!

That's a lot easier on the eyes! You can do a lot more with the image if you want, keep playing until you feel it's where you want, the good thing is everything can be undone. It's not easy is it!

I don't know if it should just the quality you have uploaded it at but it's a bit soft, is it a low res image? The original didn't look so soft, maybe it's my eyes or my glasses need a clean!
Its not easy no lol, but i will keep messing about over the weekend and see what i can do.

Back