Critique [Feedback Please] Alps Snowboarding Trip - Flaine 2016

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
A few from a recent trip. Was Snowboarding first, photography second but managed to take it out every day with me.
All shot with Fuji XT-1 and 27mm pancake lens.
Suggestions, comments, critique all welcomed ;)

1. View of Mont Blanc Range

24347168920_201bd9337e_b_d.jpg

2. Mont Blanc Panoramic [I think it started as 5 shots but i've since cropped it in a bit]
24274975259_c97bbee85d_b_d.jpg

3. Flaine Sunrise
24220518639_dda6c2b4b4_b_d.jpg

4. "The Lonely Mountain"
24274962759_ac8004620c_b_d.jpg

5. Mirror View
24079069383_78ae67958d_b_d.jpg

6. Airport Downtime
24588139792_7f4fcd409d_b_d.jpg

7. Caught the moment it all went wrong.
24679711036_456fe89b5f_b_d.jpg

4 is a nice panorama. It could do with a straighter horizon if you can.

1 Looks reasonable. The chemtrails are perhaps a little dominating particularly on the right. 2 is just a version of 1 and I'm not digging the foreground.

7 looks fun :)

4 is a nice panorama. It could do with a straighter horizon if you can.

1 Looks reasonable. The chemtrails are perhaps a little dominating particularly on the right. 2 is just a version of 1 and I'm not digging the foreground.

7 looks fun :)

Thanks for the feedback :) - I really struggled to come up with a nice "composure" for (1) and (2) all mine look a little flat.

As for 7 - There is plenty more of them - Its part of a hilarious sequence!

Big fan of this shot on your Flickr! WOW

Nice set. I was out in Flaine a few years ago, and took some ones almost identical to 1, 2 and 4 - nice to see someone else's take on the same scene. I didn't get the cloud inversion like you have in 4 so your version is nicer, and I had the same foreground issues as you did for 1 and 2.

Nice set. I was out in Flaine a few years ago, and took some ones almost identical to 1, 2 and 4 - nice to see someone else's take on the same scene. I didn't get the cloud inversion like you have in 4 so your version is nicer, and I had the same foreground issues as you did for 1 and 2.

Thanks. Nice to hear i'm not the only one facing these issues! Its a really nice resort, love the amount of trees!

A stunning place no matter what time of year.
5/6/7 win for me.

Hi Matthew, Snow, Mountains always a good combo for me!
No1 and 2 as said above the con trails are a bit of a pain but its often smothered by them up there, I prefer 1 as 2 has the distracting and uninteresting foreground. Think you would have improved with a grad filter and a bit more over exposure of the snow. No 2 the white balance looks a little off maybe looking at the difference in the colour of the snow compared to 1.
No.3. I'd be inclined to crop the bottom 3rd off, unfortunately this looks a little untidy I think its more the road and the digger but then that's probably just my OCD problem. So I'd probably just clone out the Digger.
No.4 is the killer shot for me here, just needs a bit of Horizon correction, lovely inversion layer!
No.5 The Stig Shot :) Like this nice shot, cracking reflection.
No.6 doesn't hold too much for me I'm afraid.
No.7 I can feel an ouch, coming here! I guess its all about how you land and what's under the snow you land on! Snow's Nicely exposed here... Looks real fun, nice shot.
Guess you had a great time and what a place to go! Some nice climbing there too.

Hi Matthew, Snow, Mountains always a good combo for me!
No1 and 2 as said above the con trails are a bit of a pain but its often smothered by them up there, I prefer 1 as 2 has the distracting and uninteresting foreground. Think you would have improved with a grad filter and a bit more over exposure of the snow. No 2 the white balance looks a little off maybe looking at the difference in the colour of the snow compared to 1.
No.3. I'd be inclined to crop the bottom 3rd off, unfortunately this looks a little untidy I think its more the road and the digger but then that's probably just my OCD problem. So I'd probably just clone out the Digger.
No.4 is the killer shot for me here, just needs a bit of Horizon correction, lovely inversion layer!
No.5 The Stig Shot :) Like this nice shot, cracking reflection.
No.6 doesn't hold too much for me I'm afraid.
No.7 I can feel an ouch, coming here! I guess its all about how you land and what's under the snow you land on! Snow's Nicely exposed here... Looks real fun, nice shot.
Guess you had a great time and what a place to go! Some nice climbing there too.

Tjanks for the feedback - really appreciated! Going to experiment with a crop on (3) tonight and see what it looks like.
May also crop (4) a little to give it a bit more depth; its one of my favorite shots so far! (Will fix the horizontal alignment aswell :))
Might also see if I can get abit more "vibrance" out of (4) to make it 'pop' a little. Much Appreciated!

You may be able to get a little more out of 4, perhaps without over cooking it, lovely shot(y)

Back