Critique Feedback please.

Name
Satz
Edit My Images
No
Hi everyone,

Took these last weeek at the quayside Newcastle upon Tyne. Was a beautifully sunny day. The armadillo thing is called the 'Sage Gateshead', a music venue, the bridge is the Gateshead Millennium Bridge and the last one is set of stairs that are in the Baltic Arts Centre - it's actually an art installation, mirrors on the top and bottom so gives you a fabulous view which goes on forever. I took that shot looking up, no I didn't stand on the mirror, put the camera in countdown and put the camera on the mirror.

Feedback would be great.

Newcastle-1.jpg
Newcastle-2.jpg
Newcastle-3.jpg
Newcastle-4.jpg

I don’t think I am good enough at architecture to give objective critique here but the first two are great images I would be happy to have in my portfolio. Also, I am not familiar with the area and so I would not know about better angles etc.

better angles etc.
Lol life is all about the angles... you always feel there is a better one, just around the corner.

Best tip I was, given, as you walk to the building, turnaround and look.

Maybe a cracking shot you are missing.

I very much like the colour version (#1) as the colours reflected on the 'Sage Gateshead' add so much to the image that is lacking in the mono version, though had I not seen the colour version I would have enjoyed the mono equally. IMO where the mono benefits from the entire image, the colour version would benefit from cropping a little off the bottom, maybe just below the 'Sage Gateshead' reflection.
#3 does nothing for me personally, the bridge span just gets in the way of the view, a bit like a twig spoiling the view of a beautiful bird portrait.
The last is intriguing, as you say, it goes on forever, though the outer extremities are not quite right ... doubt you could do anything about that. :)
Would love to visit and try those out for myself. :)

Thanks for the feedback, I can so see why 3 is odd, I was trying to block out the light from the sun using the bridge. But in hindsight, I should have taken 3 exposures and hdr them. But I'm not too keen on HDR, it has its place.

But thanks for the feedback @gramps, @antonroland appreciated.

Last edited:
Back