Feeding advice?

Edit My Images
Yes
I had some very welcome but unexpected visitors this morning in the shape of bull finches! I couldn't believe my eyes! Stunning looking birds make the golds and greens that visit look quite dull!
Anyway is this likely to be a fleeting visit as I've never seen them before or is there things I can do to entice them in? Certain food! Certain feeder!
Any advice welcome!!

Last edited:
It depends what they fancy at the time, from the ones that vist my garden they will stuff themselves silly on Sunflower Hearts.

Well all of the above I have out so may be they'll be back!! I don't hold out much hope if the ltt's are anything to go by! Thought I'd hit the jackpot when they swarmed my fatballs 1 morning, there 1 min gone the next!! Cheers peeps

Last edited:
The last couple of days down here have been much milder so there will still be live food around for the ones that eat insects and there will still be berries & natural seeds available for the vegans, when things do get scarce then you will see them more often. Most of the birds will have a routine, they know where they can get food from places where people have feeders. Where I live it is quite secluded and only 50 houses, things like Blue tits etc will be everywhere. The Ltt`s however will go around in a group visiting the various feeders, once they visit my place they will be gone for around 20-40 minutes and then return again, once they know food is regular then they will return, there may well be intervals of a few hours or more.

We never see bullfinches in our garden over the winter, though plenty tip-in once the trees and shrubs start budding. We also have a sparrowhawk who can be seen late spring/early summer hunting between the gardens, though never when you have the camera out!

I might just invest in a mini hide or ghillie suit and set up camp in the garden.

Back