Feeling that full frame itch again

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Well I used to have a 5D3 a while back but the weight became a problem so I went MFT, but I really miss that "pop" and the keeper rate on moving subjects (much less of an issue)

I still have a couple of my Canon EF lenses (100, 135 & 400) I just couldn't part with and a basically new 60D that got so cheap second had it wasn't worth selling.

All that said I'm not emotionally tied to Canon as I was, so if I were to look to full frame on any system (with a native good lens selection) what should I look to, that wouldn't break the bank?

So, what do I want from it...

Well of course that full frame pop.
An af system that's pretty good (I just don't get on with manual lenses) or at least good enough to get a shallow depth of field on my kids running about or cycling.
Not too big or heavy.
A decent lens selection that's not stupidly expensive (so 1.8s or f2).

I suspect I'll end up looking at a second hand 6D but would love to know the alternatives.

Cheers.

That's pretty much at the upper limit of my budget (would sell my canon glass and accessories to fund), but certainly a possibility at from a brief look appears to tick a shed load of boxes, I'd have to see what the lens alternatives would be though.

Last edited:
Go for the 6D - fantastic IQ, light weight and you keep all your lenses. Bit of a no brainer to me.

Currently thinking something similar myself, so curious to other folks thoughts.

I actually have a 5DC right now, but the pull of a 5D2 is big, but then for not a lot more, I could probably find a 1DS MKIII, or D600. Never had a Nikon before, but I'm tempted to try it...

Just sold my 5D and got myself a 6D awesome camera paired with a 40mm pancake as part of the purchase. If you have no issues with Grey imports 6D is about £800 which is good value

Nikon d610 or a second hand d800 if you don't mind large file sizes and slow fps

D750 or another 5D3. After a 5D3 youll be disappointed with a 6D or a D610 in terms of AF.

For a smaller Canon full frame you have as mentioned the 6D which will give similar results image wise as the 5D3 yet doesn't have the same dials and AF system.
I've been there myself sold all my Canon gear moved to MFT and then on too Fuji X series and eventually i went back to 5D3 which apart from 5D4 release i wouldn't be in no rush to get rid of my Canon gear again ! I do like the Fuji X series so buying that again and keeping the Canon too this time :)

5D3 / 5DS from canon; D750 / D810 from Nikon. We already told you that you won't be happy with anything lesser and sadly there is a financial penalty associated with constantly jumping the ship.

6D is much lighter than 5 d and gives similar IQ. I bought Fuji XE for light weight but I still prefer to shoot with Canon. Fuji is very slow in focusing and can't take action photos.

I must confess despite enjoying the 5D3 I sold it for a good reason, the 750 is catching my eye, its interestingly placed and is also relatively light. I'll have a dig about and look at pricing, especially at comparable lenses and see what if anything compares with the 135.

Thank you all and I expect I'll keep the m43 for longer days out.

lol, looking around I've noticed one thing - I know Jack Sh*t about Nikon lenses :)

I'm thinking the Nikor 85mm 1.8G seems to given good IQ at a decent price, but what other little gems are out there?
Given I only have three lenses to sell I don;t think I'll have much left over though :(

Cheers for that.
I'm going to dig out the 60D to get an idea of full dslr weight again.

Are there any pit falls I should be aware of, not specifically to the model, but to Nikon vs Olympus or Canon?

D750 or another 5D3. After a 5D3 youll be disappointed with a 6D or a D610 in terms of AF.
Nothing wrong with the 6d AF. Reading the specs might give you that impression but real world shooting proves the opposite. I've shot lots of fast moving stuff and the 6d reacts perfectly, more so than the supposedly faster cameras I own.

It might have less AF points than most, but the ones it's does utilise work brilliantly.

Oh, and the 6d has Canons best sensor. If that's important [emoji4]

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with the 6d AF. Reading the specs might give you that impression but real world shooting proves the opposite. I've shot lots of fast moving stuff and the 6d reacts perfectly, more so than the supposedly faster cameras I own.

It might have less AF points than most, but the ones it's does utilise work brilliantly.

Oh, and the 6d has Canons best sensor. If that's important [emoji4]

I never said there was, I said the 5D3 and D750 are better. Which they are. Ive owned a 6D so can make the comparison against my current D750 and Ive also used a 5D3.

Last edited:
I never said there was, I said the 5D3 and D750 were better. Which they are.
But you used the word "disappointed". I don't think anyone would be disappointed in a 6d unless they expected 1dx AF response? There's not much in it at all AF wise realistically if you know what you're doing and not just slapping the whole lot of AF points on at once.

I always use centre AF point AI servo for fast stuff and I found no difference in keeper rate between the two. If anything the 6d had the edge when the light was fading and in indoor areas (showjumping), but then I expected that as the centre AF point is a lot more sensitive than the 5d3's.

Last edited:
But you used the word "disappointed". I don't think anyone would be disappointed in a 6d unless they expected 1dx AF response? There's not much in it at all AF wise realistically if you know what you're doing and not just slapping the whole lot of AF points on at once.

Yes, the word used is accurate IME. He probably does after owning a 5D3.

Yes, the word used is accurate IME. He probably does after owning a 5D3.

Ok, but I've not been disappointed with the 6d after using the 5d3 (on the same day). Indoors, I prefer the 6d for showjumping where it does perform better AF wise than the 5d3. As it would do, the centre AF point is +3 ev more sensitive.

The 6d produced the better images too at the higher ISOs (3200 - 10,000).

Last edited:
Ok, but I've not been disappointed with the 6d after using the 5d3 (on the same day). Indoors, I prefer the 6d for showjumping where it does perform better AF wise than the 5d3. As it would do, the centre AF point is +3 ev more sensitive.

The 6d produced the better images too at the higher ISOs (3200 - 10,000).

Yup, the centre point is more sensitive than the 5D3 but I dont only use the centre point, so my case is different and thats why I said IME/O.

I also found the 6D sensor better than the 5D3.

If it helps at all I rarely use the centre point, so that is important to me - I should have said earlier but didn't think of it.

If it helps at all I rarely use the centre point, so that is important to me - I should have said earlier but didn't think of it.
Have you thought about a 7d2?! [emoji6] *

* I know it's not FF :)

Last edited:
I did briefly but I'm after full frame, the 7D2 does look nice though.

* I know ;)

Last edited:
Funnily enough I'm going through that. I love the compactness of my mft gear and the superb lenses keep on coming. Can't say the same for the sensors and I'm starting to itch to look elsewhere.

I don't want to go too big either, even consider a Sony RX1R as I know it suits my style. But then the Sony A7II and A7RII look very interesting as well. Mainly based on size and capability

I still got a number of excellent Nikon lenses laying about which could work on that, or on a D610/750. I just feel they are getting too big again.

Funnily enough I'm going through that. I love the compactness of my mft gear and the superb lenses keep on coming. Can't say the same for the sensors and I'm starting to itch to look elsewhere.

I don't want to go too big either, even consider a Sony RX1R as I know it suits my style. But then the Sony A7II and A7RII look very interesting as well. Mainly based on size and capability

I still got a number of excellent Nikon lenses laying about which could work on that, or on a D610/750. I just feel they are getting too big again.

The d750 isn't much bigger or heavier than the new A7ii/r.

From what I'd heard once you got good glass on the Sony its not far off a DSLR anyway so I figured I'd skip the Sony, plus its pretty much the same money so rather than leap (even further) into the unknown I thought back to safer waters for me.

BTW the D610 is well and truly on the table now too since I've been speaking to a couple of people who think it can do what I want but leave me maybe £300 better off (if I can find one in the classifieds for under £700 again), but if it were much less of a difference I'd probably go with the 750.

The d750 isn't much bigger or heavier than the new A7ii/r.
Really? I haven't handled them yet but if I compare my PEN E-P5 with the A7II versus the D750 I can see a sizeable difference. To me that looks like twice the increase of what the A7II is.

View attachment 41767

From what I'd heard once you got good glass on the Sony its not far off a DSLR anyway so I figured I'd skip the Sony, plus its pretty much the same money so rather than leap (even further) into the unknown I thought back to safer waters for me.

BTW the D610 is well and truly on the table now too since I've been speaking to a couple of people who think it can do what I want but leave me maybe £300 better off (if I can find one in the classifieds for under £700 again), but if it were much less of a difference I'd probably go with the 750.
I haven't tried the D610 vs D750 but on paper the new focusing system of the D750 alone seems to be worth the upgrade. But then again I've had Nikon before and was already used to the system they put in the D610.

Yes, the body is, but once you add a lens (see link - here), all roughly 70-200 f4's as Sony don't have a 2.8 in that range as far as I'm aware.

I haven't tried the D610 vs D750 but on paper the new focusing system of the D750 alone seems to be worth the upgrade. But then again I've had Nikon before and was already used to the system they put in the D610.
lol, I know - its a total pain trying to decide! Sadly I've no particularly local camera shops that shock high end stuff either.

Yes, the body is, but once you add a lens (see link - here), all roughly 70-200 f4's as Sony don't have a 2.8 in that range as far as I'm aware.
Ah, I haven't tried that one. I looked at the 35mm prime range and that is a pretty big difference.
View attachment 41769

Really? I haven't handled them yet but if I compare my PEN E-P5 with the A7II versus the D750 I can see a sizeable difference. To me that looks like twice the increase of what the A7II is.

View attachment 41767

Yes, really, with M43 theres the lens saving because the sensor is so much smaller. Theres also things to consider, in a slightly bigger body you get better AF, better battery life, better ergonomics for the bigger FF lenses and a much larger choice of native lenses.

I used the Panasonic 35-100 on MFT which is brilliant and compact. But yes that Sony 70-200 F4 is a whopper, and white :eek: :p

Good that there is so much choice though isn't it, and for astonishing value these days.

No it was not. It was the 35mm f2 as I prefer the look of that one.

But for fairness here is it all at f1.8.

View attachment 41772

Nope, thats an APSC E mount lens NOT a FF lens. FE is FF E mount. The Nikon lens is 1.8 NOT 2.8 like the FE Zeiss. So its not an accurate size comparison. My 50mm size comparison is far more accurate.

Last edited:
Back