Female Chaffinch

Edit My Images
Yes
This is a variation on a shot I posted a few days ago. It was taken a few seconds after that one - the focus is more on the facial area and IMO it's a better shot. I've also cropped a lot tighter this time. Just try to ignore the watermark, please :)

femalechaffinch2.jpg

C&C welcome.

Thanks for looking,

Ewan

looks like a very nice shot mate (y)

only looks alittle noisey for my liking :shrug:

but dont get me wrong i like it just it could look alot sharper

all imho hth:wave:

It's a very nice shot, but you're not really showing it at it's best. It's only 67kb file size, (pretty a well a third of what we allow) with the result that it's very pixelly which in turn only makes the rather excessive noise more prominent.

I've run noise reduction just on the background - running it in the bird itself never works as it just destroys the fine feather detail you want to retain.

femalechaffinch2.jpg

It may be just a tad over-sharpened, but it's difficult to say with that amount of noise and the small file size. Certainly it's worth going back to the original file, as we're seeing this shot at far from it's best. :)

Thanks CT, that's a really good edit. I sharpened it quite a lot because last time I posted a similar shot here someone said it needed sharpening. Matter of taste I guess!

What noise removal software did you use?

What noise removal software did you use?

I don't use any now other than the noise removal tools in PSP7. It has a few but the one I particularly like is 'Edge Preserving Smooth' which has strengths from 1-5. About 3 is usually enough.

Hold down 'Shift' on the keyboard and keep it pressed. Using the Magic Wand tool, click on the background and keep continuously clicking on areas not selected until you have a tight mask around the whole image. This does work even on very busy backgrounds, but you may have to play with the tolerance setting of the Magic Wand between clicks. If at any stage the mask overlaps onto the bird, undo the last click, lower the tolerance and carry on. Don't feather the completed mask - just apply your NR. Whether this works with proprietory NR software I don't know.

This technique also works with Photoshop, but I think it's a different keyboard command to 'Shift' - can't remember off-hand. :shrug:

Tis indeed shift to add to selection in Photoshop (y)
There is actually a masking option in Noise Ninja (I presume there's one in Neatimage too but I don't use the program so am not sure)
Another way to reduce noise in the image would be to make the masked selection & apply a light Gaussian blur to the background only.

Edit: Nice image btw although it does look a little oversharpened to me too (y)

I use Noiseware, although ive not really sat down and figured it out properly. Wonder if there is selective masking in that.

:clap:

nice edit mr ct..(y)

ewan i did not know it was a low res shot :shrug:
but as i said it is a good shot well done if you work on the original im sure it will look super(y)

Back