Female Redstart

That's a beauty Steve (y)........ but there's a bad halo type thing around the bird :confused: have you darkened just the bird then used a layer mask?? Its like over spill from that, very noticeable, sorry

That's a beauty Steve (y)........ but there's a bad halo type thing around the bird :confused: have you darkened just the bird then used a layer mask?? Its like over spill from that, very noticeable, sorry

Thanks Phil , no I havent really touched it my PP skills are very limited and I know nothing about layers and masks , just played around with highlights , shadows and brightness on the whole image .

Definite dark halo around the bird.

Thanks Phil , no I havent really touched it my PP skills are very limited and I know nothing about layers and masks , just played around with highlights , shadows and brightness on the whole image .

Strange one Steve, its a lovely shot and would definitely be an improvement without it, maybe if you were to post the j-peg without any work it might shed some light?

It's like a really dark shadow around the bird.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ but I couldn't find the right words :D

Thats the image before I touched it Phil

Sorry for the slow reply Steve, been away since Thursday morning.

Only on the laptop but the shadow isn't there on the original so definitely something in the pp'ing that's caused it.

I'll take a look later when I'm at the monitor and come back to it :)

Last edited:
No idea why Steve but its lifting the shadows that's caused it :confused: Dropping the highlights is fine and brings more detail on the bird.

If it was mine and I had the raw file, I'd work two, one for the bg, one for the bird.

Then in Elements 14, lay the bg over the bird and use the brush over the bird, it sounds a lot hared than it is.

If you want me to have a better look, edit the jpeg and post it up I will do :)

No idea why Steve but its lifting the shadows that's caused it :confused: Dropping the highlights is fine and brings more detail on the bird.

If it was mine and I had the raw file, I'd work two, one for the bg, one for the bird.

Then in Elements 14, lay the bg over the bird and use the brush over the bird, it sounds a lot hared than it is.

If you want me to have a better look, edit the jpeg and post it up I will do :)
Thanks Phil really appreciate the help , if you want to have a quick look at the Jpeg feel free as the suggestions above ref two files and brushing over bird have scrambled my brain already !!! LOl

Thanks Phil really appreciate the help , if you want to have a quick look at the Jpeg feel free as the suggestions above ref two files and brushing over bird have scrambled my brain already !!! LOl

I'm glad I can help a little Steve. If it wasn't for members of the forum i wouldn't have a clue either so I'm happy if I can give a bit back :)

I've found as soon as I start to lift the shadows a halo appears around the bird in a dark shadow, I have no idea why!!

What I did was open in View NX2 and slowly bring up the brightness and shadows a little at a time until the 'shadow' just started to appear, then saved as a back ground.

I then open the original in E14 and brought down the highlights, this was done to my thoughts but they could be brought down more.

Then open the shot I'd worked on the back ground, now this is the more complicated bit but its not as difficult as I make it sound ;)

In the photo bin at the bottom of the screen, I click on the back ground shot, that open it up, I then drag the shot with the dropped highlights and place it on top.

Then create a layer mask by clicking alt and the 'add layer mask' icon, select brush, brush size ( I like to zoom right in and use a small soft brush up to the edges) and set opacity to 100%

As you use the brush over the bird it will reveal the shot with the dropped highlights, when happy, save. A quick bit of selective noise reduction to the back ground using Nik Dfine 2 and done.

......and its taken me twice as long to type that as it did to do the edit :D

Another good place to look for help is you tube, loads of easy to follow tutorials on there

edit nr.jpg

Last edited:
Nice eye level shot with a good little head turn to us. Phils edit has done the trick nicely, but good to see you having a play with the sliders. It doesn't take much once you get a feel for what works for you.

Mike

Back