Ferraniacolor Invertibile

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
DSC_3629 copy.jpg
Popped over to the local film lab today with two rolls of 120 film that have been rolling about in my gear box for a couple of years. One, an Ilford FP4 film I had put through a 1930s Voigtlander Bessa and another I’d found in a camera purchased during the lockdown, a roll of FERRANIACOLOR INVERTIBILE( see pic).

The chap looked at it and informed me he had seen nothing like it and disappeared to do an internet search. On his return said he could find nothing therefore he would not attempt to process it for:

• Some older colour films literally dissolve in modern processing and he did not want to be responsible for destroying the Film.
  • If it did dissolve in the tank all the solution would need to be replaced and the tank cleaned.
Have a feeling he might have searched for the term “belichet” being printed in a much larger and bolder font upon the tape. Understandable.

What to do?

Is there a company that undertakes this form processing?

I really do not want to waste this film as there is always a small possibility of finding some interesting exposures.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I guess you know the label just indicate “exposed”.

If it is monochrome I'm happy to dev it in Diafine for you. Or you could contact your lab and ask them to stand dev it in B&W chemistry. With B&W needing different times it will possibly be done in a smaller tank on its own anyway - it's just the hassle of super long development times.

If it's colour, I can't offer any useful advice other than perhaps to reach out to the current Ferrania people as they have employed ex-Ferrania employees for their "new" lab. (Contact form)

My guess based on the label, experience of 1960s films, DIN (alternative to ISO), and the usual meaning (then) of "dia" is that it's a colour slide film, probably E3 or E4 processing, and about 500 ISO in modern terms.

My guess based on the label, experience of 1960s films, DIN (alternative to ISO), and the usual meaning (then) of "dia" is that it's a colour slide film, probably E3 or E4 processing, and about 500 ISO in modern terms.
I missed that! Yes it should be colour slide, reversal. Diapositiva

All examples on the net appear to be colour and in pairs and from what I have managed to find out they are colour slides reversals. The Ferraniacolor Invertibile images uncovered by my searches appear to date between 1950 and 1959.

Harlequin565’s idea to contact the newly formed rival of FILM Ferrania company would appear the most promising route to follow at the moment.

Thank you all for your time and knowledge.

All examples on the net appear to be colour and in pairs and from what I have managed to find out they are colour slides reversals. The Ferraniacolor Invertibile images uncovered by my searches appear to date between 1950 and 1959.

Harlequin565’s idea to contact the newly formed rival of FILM Ferrania company would appear the most promising route to follow at the moment.

Thank you all for your time and knowledge.
Be sure to keep us updated.

I missed that! Yes it should be colour slide, reversal. Diapositiva
"Dia" implies reversal, but as you may recall Agfa Dia Direct was a black and white slide film. My guess for colour was based on the name. I can recall an Ansco 500 ASA colour slide film, which reinforced the colour idea, coupled with zero recall of such a fast black and white film.

"Dia" implies reversal, but as you may recall Agfa Dia Direct was a black and white slide film. My guess for colour was based on the name. I can recall an Ansco 500 ASA colour slide film, which reinforced the colour idea, coupled with zero recall of such a fast black and white film.
Yes that’s what made me think B&W. I have used the Agfa but it was expensive, being process paid, but I used to do 35mm mono slides by reversal processing of ordinary negative films using basic chemical in the 1960/70s. It was my preferred method and cheap of course, bulk loading etc.

In the late 60s to early 70s our school camera club used to buy a bulk length of Ferrania slide film (35mm) around June each year. We would load it into cassettes and each club member would have some films for the summer. When we went back to school in September we would get the chemical pack and go in a Saturday to process everyone's films. It took all day because we only had single film tanks and a small constant temperature bath which we borrowed from the Chemistry department. Unfortunately I cannot remember if it was a recognised process or Ferrania's own version - it was a Ferrania chemical pack, although it was a straightforward develop, expose, bleach, redevelop, fix process.
I still make monochrome slides by reversal processing Ilford Pan F. I find the processing and the slide show so much more fun than anything that digital has to offer.

In the late 60s to early 70s our school camera club used to buy a bulk length of Ferrania slide film (35mm) around June each year. We would load it into cassettes and each club member would have some films for the summer. When we went back to school in September we would get the chemical pack and go in a Saturday to process everyone's films. It took all day because we only had single film tanks and a small constant temperature bath which we borrowed from the Chemistry department. Unfortunately I cannot remember if it was a recognised process or Ferrania's own version - it was a Ferrania chemical pack, although it was a straightforward develop, expose, bleach, redevelop, fix process.
I still make monochrome slides by reversal processing Ilford Pan F. I find the processing and the slide show so much more fun than anything that digital has to offer.

First time I’ve found another person who does it!

Yes, Richard I am still making black and white slides. Back in 1970 I was given a notebook (by a friend of my father) which contained the formulae for revresal developer, bleach, clearing solutuons and fixing information. I used these forumulae for many years and to good effect. The Ilford website now gives instrucions for reversal processing which are very similar to what I have been doing but using one of their proprietry developers in place of what I would have used. I have just purchased a bottle of their recommendation. I look foreward to my experiments!

Back