Ferrari F355 Studio & Behind the scenes

The agenda for the day was to get a couple of safe photos with the studio lighting and then get creative - first up is the rear 3/4..*
5555884105_01d823a06f_z.jpg

To create this image it must have taken at least 2 hours of experimenting with the lighting, plus longer than is healthy cleaning motorsport debris off the front of Mr Whyte's 50mm - yup, he shoots drift events on prime lenses :/*

F355_0002.jpg

I still wasn't very happy with the lighting, but we had more photos to take and more stuff to experiment with. It was then onto a front 3/4 shot. We tried lighting with the studio lights but I couldn't quite get it as I wanted. And so out came one of the many lightpainting tools that we had at our disposal. First up was a small flouro light supplied by the studio:*

Andrew got jiggy with it but as it was 'bare' the light was spilling too much onto the walls and white moveable ceiling creating distracting reflections. Andrew tried to solve this by flagging the light with some black lighting foil - a heat resistant material for helping to control studio lights. This stopped the lightspill but the foil itself was now reflecting in the paint of the car. Time then for one of Andrew's home-made tools. The only issue with it is that it's really very bright and so the first attempt was an over-exposed mess. A bit of creative thinking led us to try shorter exposure times which worked a treat aside from leaving us with lots of frames to combine in photoshop; the upside is you have a lot to choose from!*

Dean's final image is 46 layers
5556618716_219ed2fbf5_z.jpg

I think the first shot is superb.

I don't understand the rest of it [/girl] :D

Thanks for showing us the effort and techniques involved as well as the final shots.

Really enjoyed reading this....lovely photos too!

Rob

Some stunning images there, you've got some great talent at PP.

Jaw drops!! Flaming 'ell, that 1st final outcome shot is fantastic! Good work, and good writeup too!

The only comment I can think of, is maybe we need to see the cars paint colour a touch more in the black areas, bringing it from the black background a touch more.

Nice set!

Thanks for the write up, good to see what goes into your shots, a friend had his white R8 done by yourself a good few years before I got into photography and loved the shots back then...

An excellent final image and very informative write up!

I like the background info which just goes to show that there are always obsticles that need to be overcome when shooting even a static object!

:clap:

This collaboration photography between Andrew Whyte and I all started a few months ago.

= me :wave:

Thanks for the comments, nice to know the threads are being read and making sense to people. It's great to have two of us on the shoots as it allows (maybe even encourages) lots of behind the scenes stuff.

In all honesty I prefer the rear quarter and flat rear shot. But I love the sheer number of layers in PS :)

Love the amount of time and effort and thanks for the detail in the write up

Back