Ferrofluid - Carl has a go

Name
Carl
Edit My Images
Yes
A HUGE thanks to ElastoMan for the inspiration for these shots, cheers!!

4316497344_f90190feb1.jpg

Bigger

4315763701_40a5f99771.jpg

Bigger

4316499010_975f0f28cc.jpg

Bigger

4315765009_589a00177b.jpg

Bigger

Complete set on FlickR

Last edited:
great pics, confused to how the stuff is sitting on the threaded bar though? or do I see it wrong?

great pics, confused to how the stuff is sitting on the threaded bar though? or do I see it wrong?

It just does, it's really, really weird stuff... I poured from the top of the nut / bolt and it forms a blob on top and flows past the middle threaded bit to form the bottom blob. If you try and pour it from the middle it splits into 2 streams and flows UP to the top and down to the bottom....

A HUGE thanks to ElastoMan for the inspiration for these shots, cheers!!

No problem!

I hope you had fun with it. I like the nut/bolt idea, I have something similar in mind :thinking: but we'll see how it turns out! I just need to get the kids to bed so that I can go and play!

If you try and pour it from the middle it splits into 2 streams and flows UP to the top and down to the bottom....

I think the top and bottom (nut and bolt head?) are the north and south poles and the Ferrofluid moves to these. If you hold a magnet above a pool of fluid, you can get it to jump up!

That's so cool Carl! I still need to see someone doing droplets into Ferrofluid, see what it does :LOL:

Blimey, that's weird... in a good way (y)

No. 1 for me - I like the nice clean background and I prefer the shots of the whole thing to the close up's.

amazing :clap:

Looks like a rowntrees blackcurrant fruit-gum to me :D

Carl these are awesome shots mate. Can I ask did you buy or make the Ferrofluid? and if bought, from where?

Not that I'm going to steal the idea *cough*

Carl these are awesome shots mate. Can I ask did you buy or make the Ferrofluid? and if bought, from where?

Not that I'm going to steal the idea *cough*

Google "scuddlebutt3", £12 for 30ml and really fast delivery, they also sell pipettes and petri dishes which may come in handy! I used some cheap white plastic bowls for my shots and basically used one bowl per shot to stop it getting too messy....

Google "scuddlebutt3", £12 for 30ml and really fast delivery, they also sell pipettes and petri dishes which may come in handy! I used some cheap white plastic bowls for my shots and basically used one bowl per shot to stop it getting too messy....

Thanks for the info Carl, err not that i'm going to blatantly steal the idea or anything like that :LOL:

Back