Ferrybridge powerstation light trails

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
I've been thinking about doing this shot for ages. The sky was nice and clear last night so I thought I'd pop out for a recce. I'll be going back at some point to make a proper job of it.

Ferrybridge powerstation light trails by jazzywheelz, on Flickr

Probably could've done with upping the ISO and experimenting a bit to get a better exposure.

Can anyone tell me the best way to go about focussing for a shot like this?

I'd say that you've got the settings about right (y) when it comes to this style of photography the only way for focus is to do it manually (y) the only why I think that this image could be improved is to get onto location earlier (y)

Matt
MWHCVT

Good shot, I like it. Makes a change from the hundreds of boring motorway bridge vantage point light trails.

I like the industrial chimneys at the back the smoke too looks good. Agree though its nicer seeing one at an angle with background rather than straight up and down.

when it comes to this style of photography the only way for focus is to do it manually

I agree with Matt on lots of things but not his focussing technique - AF all the way. When you manually focus you can be a little bit out and you won't know it 'til you're home. AF you're either spot on or a long way off so it should be apparent early enough whilst you're still on location.

I'd have pointed the camera at the chimneys for a point to focus on. DoF isn't going to be an issue so you're looking for something distant that's bright enough for the AF to latch on.

Thanks for all the comments :)

The reason I asked about focussing is that I had assumed AF wouldn't work so I didn't even try it. I did the best i could with manual focus, but don't think I quite nailed it. As I said, I'll be going back soon to have another go. Plan of action is to get there earlier, up the ISO, give AF a try, and also wear a coat this time :LOL:

Thanks for all the comments :)

The reason I asked about focussing is that I had assumed AF wouldn't work so I didn't even try it. I did the best i could with manual focus, but don't think I quite nailed it. As I said, I'll be going back soon to have another go. Plan of action is to get there earlier, up the ISO, give AF a try, and also wear a coat this time :LOL:

Don't up the ISO, 100 is perfect for this location all you need to do is get there earlier, if your concerned about the MF as Andrew says you can try AF but also consider MF and Live view using the zoom function in live view (y)

You may want to give my light trails guide a read there is a link to it in my first post (y)

Matt

Back