Festive newborn

Name
Craig
Edit My Images
Yes
Well jumping on the current trend for newborns, a friend from work has asked me to take a few photos of her baby boy. He was born at 28 weeks and is now 7 days past his official due date not as flexible as expected but got a few shots I'm fairly happy with. She knew I'd never done it but was happy having me take some and it's something I've always wanted to try. Not sure about the colours, I need to buy a decent monitor my laptop screen is dimming and really undersaturated so I'm jumping between it a tv and a phone trying to guess a balance but otherwise for a first attempt I'm fairly happy. Never took any pullbacks but setup was really simple, smartflash 2 in a 120cm octa with a silver 5in1 for fill. Used a 2 stop nd to knock down the light to shoot at wider aperture. Critique and comments welcome...

_CDP0131-Edit.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Craig. Couldn't give you any crit (as you know my level) but I really like the symmetry on this and the little hat really works well. Not easy to do from my limited tries at this.

Gaz

Wonderful photo! The only thing I'd say is lose the vignette... You don't need it here.
I also like the composition like Gary said above. Well done! Sweet baby too! :)

Spot on Craig. Glad you pulled it off. I struggled yesterday getting our little lady into this pose, just couldn't get her head up like that, bit disappointed but got plenty of reasonable stuff. Like you, my strobes were too powerful to get below f4, which was with a polariser attached as have no ND's anymore. Lots of patience needed, had a few attempts during the course of the day.

Curious as to whether this is one shot or a composite? Lovely shot either way, and sorry but another vote for losing the vignette.

Thanks guys, yeah the vignette could definitely go tried to keep it quite light but you're probably light in it's still a bit much this display doesn't help as the low contrast doesn't help judging it, but sounds like losing it altogether may be way to go. Last few shoots were meant to pay for a half decent monitor but as usual life keeps getting in the way of extra cash.

@cargo you need to stop playing down your work, your lighting is getting as good as anywhere I'd love to be producing some of the shots you're doing lately.

Spot on Craig. Glad you pulled it off. I struggled yesterday getting our little lady into this pose, just couldn't get her head up like that, bit disappointed but got plenty of reasonable stuff. Like you, my strobes were too powerful to get below f4, which was with a polariser attached as have no ND's anymore. Lots of patience needed, had a few attempts during the course of the day.

Cheers Kris, yeah it took 3 attempts to get this, first time I knew he was due a feed and he woke up, second time I just didn't support him enough and he woke then tried again and got lucky for last shot of the session. I thought it would be easier to be honest I think the fact this wee guy has really been out for over 3 months now he's not as flexible as if he'd been curled up to this age. In hindsight I'd probably use a speedlight but didn't have a mount for my big octa so had to make do.

Curious as to whether this is one shot or a composite? Lovely shot either way, and sorry but another vote for losing the vignette.
Thanks, yeah it's a composite of 2 shots one supporting chin other supporting forehead.

@CraigDHD
Quote [You need to stop playing down your work, your lighting is getting as good as anywhere I'd love to be producing some of the shots you're doing lately] Quote

Thank you Craig. I really appreciate that and I am trying to work on my confidence I hear myself saying these things and it annoys me as much as it must annoy others but it is just the way I am.The habbit of a lifetime that should have worn off by now.

Gaz

Cheers Kris, yeah it took 3 attempts to get this, first time I knew he was due a feed and he woke up, second time I just didn't support him enough and he woke then tried again and got lucky for last shot of the session. I thought it would be easier to be honest I think the fact this wee guy has really been out for over 3 months now he's not as flexible as if he'd been curled up to this age. In hindsight I'd probably use a speedlight but didn't have a mount for my big octa so had to make do.

Thanks, yeah it's a composite of 2 shots one supporting chin other supporting forehead.

I'm going to have another go next weekend. Just been looking at ND filters, reckon a 3 stop will bring it all together.

Lovely shot.....

Only thing I would have said is it would have been nice to have seen the whole bobble on the hat, maybe if it was to come to one side more....?

But I know how difficult these newborn shoots are, so you've done well to get such a good shot! :)

I really like the symmetry on this and the little hat really works well.

Wonderful photo! The only thing I'd say is lose the vignette... You don't need it here.
I also like the composition like Gary said above. Well done! Sweet baby too! :)

:agree:
I don't normally like the 'naked baby in a hat thing' but the deliberateness of the symmetry makes it work really well.
It'd be interesting to see a similar shot with a longer focal length; it may be slightly more flattering.

@cargo you need to stop playing down your work, your lighting is getting as good as anywhere I'd love to be producing some of the shots you're doing lately.
:plus1:

Agreed this is better Craig. Did you try the image with the background and blankets any brighter ?

Gaz

Thanks again for the comments and advice guys, have tweaked it a bit more to balance the blanket a bit more on the right hand side, think I'm done with it now.

_CDP0131-Edit-final_1.jpg

Agreed this is better Craig. Did you try the image with the background and blankets any brighter ?

Gaz

Yeah I orginally wanted to make it lighter but I was losing the white in the hat and blanket as I brighten up the whole background and white vignettes have never done it for me so decided just to leave it as it closer to it's natural colour.

Great shot Craig, this last rendition is right on the money in my book. Great Stuff.(y)

George.

Back