Edit My Images
No
A few flowers shots I took last week, C&C welcome as always. :D

1 - Sumptuous Orange

2 - It's a Small World

3 - Deep Purple

i think the third is best out of this set,
no1 i cant see anythink thats in focus ,imho

Thanks Chris. The point of focus in the first image is around the center part of the flower. Here's a crop of the first image for you, you should be able to see something in focus in this one, lol.

DSC0472-Edit.jpg

Although, in these kinds of shots it's not important to have much in focus as they're more about form, feeling, composition and colour rather than the actual subject.

Nobody else got any comments?

i pefer the middle to be in focus in macro shots,as much as poss allowing for very thin dof
which i feel very important

i pefer the middle to be in focus in macro shots,as much as poss allowing for very thin dof

If you mean the middle of the image then fair enough if that's what you like but to me that's nothing to do with a good macro shot.

If the middle of these images had been the focal point then the center of the flowers would have been blurred, which to me would ruin the shots.

If you mean that the middle of the subject (as in the center of these flowers) should be in focus then that's exactly what I've done. So I don't see what you're on about in that case.

How does focusing on the middle (image or subject?) allow for a very thin (I presume you mean shallow) DOF? ...and why is it important?

Oooh I love these....I like the way you've got the centre in focus and the rest is a blur of colour - especially in the first one.
Thank you. Glad you like them. :)

Last edited:
well your first flower,you couldnt see the middle bit very clearly,the white parts. but are in photo 2 and 3 so i was saying i pefer that in focus
and that if that was in,the rest wouldn't be because of thin/shallow dof ?

just commenting on what i see,not having a pop

Last edited:
not in pic one, untill you zoon/crop it
The first image does have the center of the flower in focus, it's just a very shallow DOF so only a small part of the image is in focus, which makes it harder to see on a small image unless you crop to a higher zoom level. I can still see it on the first image without the higher zoom crop though.

cos the rest gets blured out when your focusing right in ,
I don't understand your reasoning at all here. You're saying that by focusing on the middle of the image/subject (I'm still not sure if you mean the image or the subject as you haven't said) that this will make the rest of the image blurred out? I'm sorry Chris but that's just not true as far as I know. How much of the image is 'blurred out' depends on your current aperture and has nothing to do with where you have focused on the screen.

didnt say it was important
I must apologise then, my eyesight must be going. Probably explains why I can see the center of my flower in focus too, lol.

Last edited:
ahh my fault got it bit messed up as usaual
these kinds of shots it's not important to have much in focus as they're more about form, feeling, composition and colour rather than the actual subject.

and middle i mean middle of the plant.iris or whatever its called before you correct me on that too

all this cos i wasnt keen on one pic of yours, in future ill keep my opinions to myself,

Last edited:
I don't have a problem with you not liking my photograph Chris. Everyone has their own taste and as photography is a form of art it's very subjective, so not everyone is going to like my images, your images or anyone elses. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and what one person finds beautiful another person won't, I know this and so I don't expect everyone to like my images. I just didn't understand your explanation of why you didn't like the first image. You stated that you prefer to see the middle of the flower in focus when the middle of the flower was in focus and then went on to say that focusing on the middle of the flower would allow for a shallow DOF, which is just nonsense. So 'all this' was because you gave my image a critique and comments that didn't make sense, not because you didn't like my image. From your comments it seems to me that you don't yet understand some of the basics of photography and you seem to have taken offence from me trying to understand what it is that you're saying, so it's probably best you don't critique my images. As I'm fairly new here I just hope that this hasn't put other members off from critiquing my images. I actually take criticism very well (better than anyone else I know) and really do want honest appraisals of my images, I just want to be able to make sense of the C&C.

Last edited:
You stated that you prefer to see the middle of the flower in focus when the middle of the flower was in focus and then went on to say that focusing on the middle of the flower would allow for a shallow DOF, which is just nonsense

well i use f2.8 about an inch away from the iris ,and there anit much light so dof is thin/shallow,so petals would be simlar
From your comments it seems to me that you don't yet understand some of the basics of photography
yeah i might not know that much ,or spelling or getting across what i mean ,owt else either

macro to me is of a subject that is hard to see with the eye,
see if you understand me now
well the white bits in photo 1 arent
photo 2 and 3 iris are in focus

thought you understood what i meant when we chatted on msn , guess not

Last edited:
I like them. The colours are really vivid, and they almost flow from one image to the next (y) I prefer number 3, although 2 has an interesting added extra on one of the petals :)

I like number one, for the reasons you mention. Its in the eye of the beholder.
The eye is drawn nicely to the centre and is rewarded with a nice example of natures beauty. ( god I waxed all lyrical then )
great shots mate
Thank you Dave. Nice that they're appreciated. I thought the heart shaped bit in the middle of the flower on the first image was quite cool too. Can you tell I know nothing about flowers? lol. I'm sure the 'heart shaped bit' has a name but I certainly don't know what it is.

I like them. The colours are really vivid, and they almost flow from one image to the next I prefer number 3, although 2 has an interesting added extra on one of the petals
Thank you. Yeah, I wondered if someone would notice that in number two, lol. That's why I named it 'It's a Small World', because it looks like that insects own little world that I was invading.

Last edited:
Close up pansy's always seem to put me in mind of Georgia O'Keefe. I like this shots ;)

Back