Wild Few red Squirrels.

Name
Steven
Edit My Images
No
Taken at Mount Stewart Estate, Co.Down, N.Ireland
Red squirrels have been on the increase in N.Ireland due to the fantastic work of red squirrel volunteer groups, feeding and encouraging reds whilst limiting the spread of greys.
So much so that they are being exported to mainland UK as their blood lines are purer in the hope of re-establishing reds in greater numbers.
These were taken a few days ago nearing dusk with ISO 10,000 or above on a Nikon D850 and 200-500mm lens, sometimes being too close to get them all in.
SFP_5177-Edit.jpg

SFP_5189.jpg
SFP_5165-Edit-3.jpg
SFP_5159-Edit.jpg
SFP_5182-Edit.jpg

Not necessarily the highest quialty pics, but really great new about a noew bloodline for UK Reds......

Very nice shots. I watched a tv programme about the NI group..all volunteers. A couple of days ago I heard that they have established themselves so well in one particular area, the name of which slips my mind, that some are being moved to other UK locations to populate those areas.

"Only 12 grey squirrels were shipped from England to county Longford, Ireland as a wedding present in 1911 – they subsequently escaped. By the 1960s they were spreading across the Northern Irish border and have since colonised much of the suitable countryside."
Hard to believe that they grew from only 12 grey squirrels. It's taken years to reduce them.
I followed a local volunteer recently as he showed me how they humanely dispatch of the greys without injuring the reds.

I think the quality is perfectly fine. Especially considering you took these at ISO 10,000!

I'd be delighted with these personally .

Back