Few shots from our Godson's Christening

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
Here are a few shots I took yesterday at our Godson's christening.

I think my people/portrait stuff needs quite a lot of work, so informal occasions like this should help to give me some practice. Was my first go really. I went to a wedding recently and didn't take my DSLR as I thought it would be cumbersome, but afterwards I wished I had.
I felt a bit pressured at first as people think you're a hired 'tog because you have a DSLR, but once I'd assured everyone it was just a hobby, had a few beers & got snapping I quite enjoyed it. Got loads to learn though. Wish I had took my 55-250mm IS so that I could get some nicely isolated head shots from distance.

Full set here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25266351@N06/sets/72157620915593049/

A few of my faves:

3695224056_407fc49183.jpg

#2 - A little OOF I know, I didn't have my flashgun so went a bit slow for handheld.
3695234634_c8c102820d.jpg

3695680116_9228c9c374.jpg

3695680602_f8b6ab6af3.jpg

#5 - Probably my fave of the set
3694876515_0ed7429a25.jpg

3695692538_3b1b3e6a8f.jpg

3694834211_a5876b030f.jpg

3694834687_08636b949c.jpg

Had a lovely day, all went really well!

One thing I did notice whilst processing in Lightroom is that some seemed a little soft or slightly OOF, where perhaps they shouldn't (outside, wide aperture). Not sure if it was me being too carefree (and slightly drunk!) or whether my lens/AF has some issues with softness or front/back focusing.

I've had some nice sharp shots from this lens before (Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8) but I suppose it won't hurt to try an AF test.

Anyway, all C&C very welcome!

Thanks for looking :)

Last edited:
A lovely set. I think #5 is my favourite too! A very nice moment.

Cheers.

I was starting to wonder if it was going to drop off the page without any C&C at all!!!

Was really hoping for a bit more crit on these guys.

I've gone through the set again a few times, and although it was my first go at a family/friends do like this, and I was taking them for myself really so no pressure - I think I could've done a lot better.

I think I've gone for the candid too often and missed too many faces/eyes. I think it's because I prefer to not make a big deal out of pointing a big lens in someone's face. I was already getting comments about being the 'pro' 'tog, which I am not.

Maybe I'd have done better taking my 55-250mm with me as well, and getting a few more headshots. Or perhaps grabbing people's attention more often.

Also, does it seem like my PP is a little contrasty at times. I sometimes find myself going for a bit too much contrast when perhaps it doesn't need it.

Got a wedding coming up in September (guest), so will be able to get some more practice in :)

my fav is number4, it's rather cute and i like the contrast in it! I'm a fan of pushing the contrast up, sometimes even blowing a few highlights to get the look i want!

I also like the processing of the last, i just wish the kid was looking up more in your direction. I think the close up ones work better than the further away shots like number1.
Number 2 is pretty cute too, maybe it would look better if the background wasnt as distracting and it was a tad sharper, though with handheld at slow ss the motion blur is hard to avoid.
I'm really a beginner in the candid portrait scene too, so I may not have a clue what I'm talking about lol.

Thanks for looking and finding time to comment :)

#4 is nice, he was so happy being held by Jodie (not his mummy!!).

Again, with distracting backgrounds, such as #2, I may have done better here by shooting wide open (f/2.8), I think this was taken at around f/4, but it would probably still be a little distracting. I think it can be hard when you're very close anyway, a zoom lens tends to isolate better.

And don't worry about being a beginner, all comments are taken on board!!

Back