Ffestiniog/Welsh Highland Railway

Name
Iain
Edit My Images
No
Off to Porthmadog next week, so was going through some pictures from my last visit in 2011 - 4 attached here. First pictures I have posted on here so would appreciate any comments/advice on photographing these railways, and improvements that could be made to my technique and "vision".

Lyd at Harbour station
9193219828_65c5921126_c.jpg

Palmerston & Linda departing from Harbour Station to Blaenau Ffestiniog (wet rails & copious amounts of wheelslip, particularly from Linda)
9193289396_5bc49e5834_c.jpg

Quadruple Fairlie at Dinas
9193356178_9c13fbdea4_c.jpg

Britomart at Dinas
9190759447_93eb1501be_c.jpg

Many thanks,

Iain

Thanks very much - to be honest they are probably the best of the bunch, most of the others I can see where I could have improved.

Although just noticed the lamp sticking out of Lyd's roof on the first one - time to learn how to get rid of it in photoshop.

Iain

Exposure and focus look good but I feel the composition could be better. These are all a bit central in the frame for me.

The Ffestiniog has some amazing scenery so maybe try moving away from from the trains and capture them as part of the scene. eg go over the the holiday shallets and get a shot of a train coming over the cob.

Or traveling on the new section at

Thanks, some good points - at the time I was more interested in the motive power than the photo, but things move on...

Plan to take a trip on the Welsh Highland, so will remember the locos as part of the scene advice.

Iain

How about
a) Go up to Beddgelert and walk down the river path to the bridge
b) Park on the Beddgelert road above the gorge and shoot the WHR across the river
c) Walk to the Boston Lodge end of the Cob go around the back and up the hill where you can get a shot the full length of the club
d) go behind Cob Records and walk around the side of the estuary to get shots like this

5710415831_5984a27d86_o.jpg

They'd make some cracking grainy black & whites. Nice shots.

I think the last shot is really very nice!! It's a shame the guy with his back to us wasn't facing towards but nonetheless a great shot!!

Thank you all for your comments and advice. I look forward to putting it into practice next week.

In the meantime I have tried the images in black and white as suggested by Dinsdale, need to do some more work on some, but here are Palmerston and Linda in B&W:

9220895441_7c94ea0391_c.jpg

Thanks,

Iain

Thank you all for your comments and advice. I look forward to putting it into practice next week.

In the meantime I have tried the images in black and white as suggested by Dinsdale, need to do some more work on some, but here are Palmerston and Linda in B&W:

Thanks,

Iain

Really cool! Looks like it was taken in the good old days of steam. Not sure about the vertical element that looks like a tv aerial just to the left of the smoke stack though. Maybe clone that out?

Don't see a lot wrong with the composition myself, mono conversion looks very noisy and underexposed though (?)

Fair point - the noise is because I used one of the Lightroom presets as a starter, think it was one that attempted to emulate film. Agree that it is a bit dark - thought it was a good idea at the time as the weather was grim to put it mildly, but I guess only I knew that.

Back in Porthmadog now, will maybe have another go at it when I get back.

Iain

Back