Ffordes used equipment

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Has anyone used Ffordes for used equipment???
Looking at a couple of lenses and they are described as excellent ++
Was just wondering if anyone has purchased from them and what was the experience like.

I’ve used them in the past. The description of used equipment was accurate I found. Delivery was speedy. ;)

I've used them and been mostly happy the caveat being that I wasn't happy with one delivery and they acted like they were doing me a favour by taking it back and that did leave a bad taste in my mouth. I suppose how they act when a problem arises is the measure of a company.

I've used them to sell most of my F mount lenses on commission when I swopped to Nikon Z.
I've also bought a few items. Descriptions are always accurate IMO.

Like Alan I did return one item and they also acted like they were doing me a favour. But was refunded so result OK.

I was going to buy a used camera from them, but wasn't keen on their return policy.
Even less so now i've read the comments above.
They reckon 20 clicks is enough to make sure its ok, one short burst would blow right through that.
I would want to know its working ok in continuous mode, sorry, but I don't think that is a reasonable clause.

Digital Cameras must have less than 20 activations made over the original when sent to you, this being adequate to check the function of the camera.

FWIW I have bought very many manual lenses, film bodies and accessories from them over the last 15 or 20 years and never had any problems. Quite a few of my favourite FD lenses came from them including an 85L and a 55/1.2 Aspherical (before prices went crazy).

Never bought anything digital or with autofocus from Ffordes, though

Last edited:
I have bought several cameras, lenses and accessories from them over the years. Always accurately described and problem free.

Their descriptions are very accurate IME.
I don't like that they charge for delivery.
On one occasion I had to return a lens because it was faulty and they refused to pay back the delivery charges both ways.
As mentioned above their return policy seems unreasonable and possibly also breaking consumer laws in some cases.

I live about two miles from them, top company

I've used them a few times, but don't anymore. In my experience, their descriptions are not accurate.

One transaction with them was a comedy of errors, by sending someone else's lens to me in the same package as my lens, invoice and all.

I offered to send the lens to the correct recipient, and the agent asked me to send the proof of postage to the Ffordes. A few days later, I called about the refund for postage costs and was dismissed as this mistake 'would never happen'.

I tried another transaction with them and received a lens described as 'Excellent +' that was shipped with a focus locking bolt that had snapped and was sellotaped together. never again.

I've used them a few times, but don't anymore. In my experience, their descriptions are not accurate.

One transaction with them was a comedy of errors, by sending someone else's lens to me in the same package as my lens, invoice and all.

I offered to send the lens to the correct recipient, and the agent asked me to send the proof of postage to the Ffordes. A few days later, I called about the refund for postage costs and was dismissed as this mistake 'would never happen'.

I tried another transaction with them and received a lens described as 'Excellent +' that was shipped with a focus locking bolt that had snapped and was sellotaped together. never again.
That doesn't sound good at all, seems that some have a good experience and some bad.
As pointed out their returns procedure seems a bit indifferent, might just look elsewhere now that I have seen some of the comments above.

Bought a Leica lens from them a few years back and had to return it as it was faulty, eventually got a refund, wouldnt touch them with a barge pole now.

I bought something that was not as described. I wasn't happy they missed the issue. But they sorted it straight away, after I sent a photo of it. Return was easy and they also refunded all postages

coincidentally, as above... it was a leica lens.

Last edited:
The majority of there items are excellent , only ever had one issue with a lens but it’s 50/50 that the fault might have been with a dogdy adaptor that failed on me some time later

Ffordes are the best. Prior to moving house in 2020, I had some accessories and older film stuff to move on. Nobody else would take anything apart from the Mju that was a bit of a cult thing at the time. The best offer on that was 100. I sold on commission basis and made over £300. I did the same again in 2021 and 2022. At one stage, I thought about asking them to buy them off me after a couple oof things had not moved. They could have just bought the rest from me, to their increased profit, but I was told that one of the items was out on approval. At the end of last year, when one item remained, I was able to trade it for a hard case - which was as described and had I bought a new one, it would have cost me over 200 . In addition, when I was having difficulty with a well known online dealer, I rang them to ask their advice. They did not mind at all and were very helpful in helping me decide what to do. The first load that I sent had a few items that they did not sell and those were passed to the disabled photographers group. I know it's unusual to have to pay for getting the kit to a company but they also offer what is, as far as I am aware, a unique set of possibillities: trade, sell on commission or sell outright. So, 10/10 from me.

I have just bought an old film camera from them, and there is an issue.
Waiting for them to reply, however I bought it on ebay, so I have the option of just submitting a returns request, but I thought it would be decent to see what they say first.
From what I see here, I am optimistic, and will give them a couple of days to reply first.

Another positive vote for Ffordes. I've had some very good value items from them over the years.

They are long-established, friendly and in my experience reliable - I've dealt with them a number of times over many years, both buying used bodies & lenses and selling by commission. Remember no-one's perfect, but I've had more issues with MPB in terms of condition and valuation.

Back