FIA GT at Silverstone

Name
Nigel
Edit My Images
Yes
Went to Silverstone yesterday as a reccy before the Grand Prix in July.

First time out with motorsport and bloomin' 'eck the panning was tricky, especially in the strong gusty wind. I started off at 1/250th and by the end of the day chanced my arm at 1/160th :bonk:

Thankfully I think I got a few half decent shots, of which these are some

I think the F1 Grand Prix may be a completely different ball game though :shrug:

C&C vey welcome

5799227044_0312831ef2_b.jpg

5799226368_1d94260bcb_b.jpg

5799226704_b9830c778f_b.jpg

5799226038_5ac51452fd_b.jpg

I really like them, although number two stands out for me.

Looking forward to seeing your F1 shots!

Paul

Top stuff, I love #1 with the dust 'hiding' the chasing pack, really highlights the main subject.

Looks like you're a natural anyway, sharp, good sense of movement, hard to fault really. What lens are you using?

Good job there - good idea to scout out for F1 (y)

I have no comment on the photos, only a comment about your 'reccy' comment. Really? Seriously, a reccy?! :thinking:

I really don't get GP fans. :bang:

I don't see it as being foolish to scout out the circuit before the event you want to shoot comes along... I do it when i can too.

Especially with Silverstone having changed so much lately, a good scout on a quiet day seems like a good plan to me.

I have no comment on the photos, only a comment about your 'reccy' comment. Really? Seriously, a reccy?! :thinking:

I really don't get GP fans. :bang:

I'm in two minds whether to justify your post by replying to you questionning my action to 'reccy' Silverstone, but I will nonetheless.

Firstly, I have never been to Silverstone before let alone to a GP. I understand it is absolutley manic on GP day, and to find out where I would be sitting and to find out where facilities etc were is only good planning in my book.

Secondly, I have not done any motorsport photography before, so I saw this as a chance to get in some practice.

Thirdly, my partner, God bless her, can suffer from anxiety attacks in unfamiliar surroundings, so I took her along on an uncrowded event to get her used to the 'feel' of the place in the hope she will be ok on GP day (crossed fingers)

As a footnote, if you havent got anything constructive to say about the photos, which was the reason for my posting in the first place, then why bother posting at all??

Last edited:
As I said Nigel, it was a worthy plan in my book. I'd do exactly the same if I was planning on shooting F1.

I was saying that, to me, it seems pretty insulting for what is a World Championship event.

I understand what Jake is getting at, I know a reccy is a good idea for F1, but this event is hardly a club level event. For GT racing fans in the UK it's one of the bigger events of the season, so expecting it to not attract big crowds is perhaps a little strange. However I do understand the whole anxiety thing and just generally getting practice, although I should imagine when F1 rolls into town it'll be a totally different ball game. Silverstone changes too frequently for it to ever stay the same. But good luck anyway. (y)

Anyway, onto the shots themselves. For a first time out at motorsport I'd be very pleased with this set, your panning seems to be pretty much spot on and way above what I could do on my first ever attempt. Maybe crank the shutter speed down a tad more just to get a bit more blur? It also doesn't look like you moved around a great deal, I understand that Silverstone is massive and takes forever to walk around but variety is the spice of life. A set of photo's usually look more interesting if they are taken at different sections. As far as I can see the majority were taken at the entry and exit of Luffield? Can't really tell where #4 was taken. That said there aren't anything wrong with these photo's and for a first time out these are great, I'd be pleased with them. (y)

"big crowds" is a relative term though... something like the regular 30,000+ for BTCC or BSB is swallowed up whole by Silverstone yet a fraction of the crowd at F1 or even MotoGP...

No idea what sort of crowd this event yielded, but I suspect still quite a way short of BTCC/BSB, judging by the interest we see at Brands for GT racing.

I understand what Jake is getting at, I know a reccy is a good idea for F1, but this event is hardly a club level event. For GT racing fans in the UK it's one of the bigger events of the season, so expecting it to not attract big crowds is perhaps a little strange. However I do understand the whole anxiety thing and just generally getting practice, although I should imagine when F1 rolls into town it'll be a totally different ball game. Silverstone changes too frequently for it to ever stay the same. But good luck anyway. (y)

Anyway, onto the shots themselves. For a first time out at motorsport I'd be very pleased with this set, your panning seems to be pretty much spot on and way above what I could do on my first ever attempt. Maybe crank the shutter speed down a tad more just to get a bit more blur? It also doesn't look like you moved around a great deal, I understand that Silverstone is massive and takes forever to walk around but variety is the spice of life. A set of photo's usually look more interesting if they are taken at different sections. As far as I can see the majority were taken at the entry and exit of Luffield? Can't really tell where #4 was taken. That said there aren't anything wrong with these photo's and for a first time out these are great, I'd be pleased with them. (y)

Thanks for your kind comments guys and thanks particularly Adam for your considered C&C. I take your point about moving round the circuit to obtain some variety in the shots. I'm wondering if that will be possible on GP day though, so I may be stuck in Luffield B all day for the racing:shrug: What I could do with is a nice pit lane pass :D

I'll also take the plunge to see if I can get below 1/160th.... maybe even try the heady heights of 1/100th but i dont fancy my chances of many keepers :bonk:

Back