Fibre Light experiments - Electric Elephant - Process Added

Name
Stuart
Edit My Images
Yes
You know when you try an experiment and the first shot shows some potential and then you try for a couple of hours to find...
...not there yet but this is where I am so far ...

1 - One of the first images – brushing down and up.
DSC_3374a800.jpg

2 - Tried a ¾ shot brushing both sides
DSC_3381a800.jpg

3 - Also tried holding the fibres together and just washing the light over.
DSC_3386a800.jpg

Thanks for looking - C&C always welcome

Last edited:
Oh i like that - particularly the middle one, the first looks a little "flat" being entirely side on, but the second is much more "3D". Would be interested to see how you progress with these, seems like an interesting idea to keep playing with and trying new things.

David

... the first looks a little "flat" ...seems like an interesting idea to keep playing with...

David

(y) Thanks for commenting David.
I agree the first is "flat" the ¾ pose is much more dramatic.

Still working on it ... here is a couple more in red this time...

4 – Heavy brush forcing the fibre to go in and around.
DSC_3444a800.jpg

5 – Very light brushing –almost rain drops, I like the way the fibre have bounced off the floor
DSC_3445a800.jpg

I like these. 3/4 ones work best.

What do you actually use to "paint" with?

really interesting, number 4 if my faveorite so far, cant wait to see more (y)
Thanks Jack ... still work in progress :)

I like these. 3/4 ones work best.

What do you actually use to "paint" with?

Thanks Linton,
To "paint" the elephant I use battery operated fibre optic lights as a broad paint brush or I will hold the fibres together an just use then as a light source, for example in No3.

10 to 20 second exposures give just about enough time to do the painting. Longer than 20 seconds and the reflected light from the walls and window frames start to bleed though.

The tools...
DSC_3449a800.jpg

Last edited:
I love the second one (y)

(y) Thanks Anna.

i dont get how you do this ?
Hi Kim, I will try to put together some shots tomorrow of the process.
You will need your camera on a tripod, set for say 15 secs F/10 ISO200. A fibre optic lamp (should be cheap now - after Christmas :)).
You will also need a remote, or a timer, or someone to press the release.
To start with, simply turn the lights off in the room, stand a few feet back from the camera, release the shutter and move the lamp around in a random fashion until the shutter closes.
Fast and slow movements give different effects.
I have some examples on this thread...
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=279293
You can also try running the fibres over your fingers.
The next thing is to introduce a statue, or a vase with handles, or object, and "paint" from the back allowing the fibres to land on the edges.
Also try brushing the fibres quickly along the front surface.
Providing you do not actually stand in front of the camera for any length of time you will not be seen due to the long exposure.
Continued in Post #12...
Have a try - post some shots it you want.

Stuart

Last edited:
Hi Stuart, I'm always on the look out for unusual and off-the-wall stuff when it comes to photography and yours ticked the boxes.
I say your efforts does work very well and has the effect of making me want to take apart the £1 fibre lamp I got at a boot fair and try it for myself!

Hi Stuart, I'm always on the look out for unusual and off-the-wall stuff when it comes to photography and yours ticked the boxes.
I say your efforts does work very well and has the effect of making me want to take apart the £1 fibre lamp I got at a boot fair and try it for myself!

(y) Thanks very much Ian.
I have put together a little explanation of the process I used.

Following on from Post #9...
I have taken these shots in the light so that you can see the technique.

A) Start above the sculpture and move your hand down.
B) When the fibres land they will rest for a time giving a stronger light thereby outlining the main shape.
C) The fibres will slip down the shape and catch on the protrusion you will see the light trails forming.
D & E) To trace the 3D form of the side facing the camera (see Image No2) drag the fibres along the faces these will leave light trails that follow the shape.
(Note your hand will not show if you move at a reasonable speed).

FibreBrushing1.jpg

FibreBrushing2de.jpg

I anyone has any questions on the feel free to post them or PM me.

Stuart

Last edited:
Thanks a lot stuart! This is definately something I am going to hae to play with! Do you have the flash on then?? Im guessing not, but thought I would check.

Kim x

Thanks a lot stuart!...
...Do you have the flash on then?? Im guessing not, but thought I would check.

Kim x

Hi Kim your very welcome.:)
No flash or other light just the light from the fibres.

The extra light in the Process Post above, was just so that you could see what I was doing.

Last edited:
This is absolutely fantastic, I've never seen this done before. Photo 2 is my favourite but all of them are great.

I'm going to have to get a fibre optic lamp from somewhere now :)

Many thanks too for showing us how it was done.

Really interesting technique and another thing I hadn't thought about.
I've been playing with a fibre light since some of your recent posts.

Thanks for the inspiration

This is absolutely fantastic, I've never seen this done before. Photo 2 is my favourite but all of them are great.

I'm going to have to get a fibre optic lamp from somewhere now :)

Many thanks too for showing us how it was done.

(y) Thanks Nick - get a lamp quick during the Christmas Sales:)

Really interesting technique and another thing I hadn't thought about.
I've been playing with a fibre light since some of your recent posts.

Thanks for the inspiration

(y) Thanks Biker.

I would be really interested if anyone else decides to post some, please send me a PM if I don't pick up your threads.

Stuart

This is an intriguing and creative technique. My first reaction was WOW, how did you do that! Thanks for sharing your method, I must give it a try.

Back