Fibre optic broadband

Hmm, it states my exchange is AO - accepting orders but when I try to order with anyone (BT, Sky, EE, Talk Talk, Plusnet) they all say that fibre is not available!
Some phone calls are required me thinks.

Well if I check online, a few say we can have it. But as we live about 400m from the exchange as the Crow flies, it will never happen. As far as I am aware there needs to be at least one junction box between you and the exchange, and I guess that will still depend on how far away the exchange is.

Last edited:
Recently went the FTTC route and well impressed as I was always under the impression that my local NE UK exchange would not be offering the upgrade, its worth asking!!!

Before FTTC:

Max download - 7 to 8 Mb/s
Max upload - 0.5 to 0.75 Mb/s

After FTTC:

(y)

I am on BT Infinity and getting about 55 Mbps down and 17 Mbps up and as I understand it, it is Fibre Optic all the way to my "Local Cabinet" then standard BT wiring to my home about 0.5 - 0.75 miles. Fibre Optic from the cabinet to my home would probably double those speeds but the reality is that I cannot see it happening for a long time

Hmm, it states my exchange is AO - accepting orders but when I try to order with anyone (BT, Sky, EE, Talk Talk, Plusnet) they all say that fibre is not available!

Same here and I know I can't order from anyone so this looks flawed

Not only the exchange, but your cabinet needs to be enabled. They happen at different times.

My last speedtest (I'm backing up at the moment, so I have no upload bandwidth to do a test now)

2468001560.png

Very flawed site, AO yet my ISP says not available until June.

I am on BT Infinity and getting about 55 Mbps down and 17 Mbps up and as I understand it, it is Fibre Optic all the way to my "Local Cabinet" then standard BT wiring to my home about 0.5 - 0.75 miles. Fibre Optic from the cabinet to my home would probably double those speeds but the reality is that I cannot see it happening for a long time

I thought that and am regularly getting those figures wirelessly. Hard wired I'm getting 98 mb lol

:withstupid: :)

You should take this site, and similar, with a little pinch of salt. It's rather like a satnav - it requires the operator to use a little bit of common sense ;)

Well if I check online, a few say we can have it. But as we live about 400m from the exchange as the Crow flies, it will never happen. As far as I am aware there needs to be at least one junction box between you and the exchange, and I guess that will still depend on how far away the exchange is.
You will have a junction box not too far away, you certainly won't be connected directly to the exchange (if that's what you mean). And the distance from the exchange is no longer a factor.

Your local exchange may be 'accepting orders' but this is BT-speak for saying that the exchange has been upgraded and Openreach are rolling out the street cabinets. Once you see one of the new cabinets within a street or two then you can check again and you will probably find you can then place an order.

One of my customers is on the edge of a large exchange area and was suffering just 2mbps - until she upgraded to fibre and now has 62 mbps (y)

Don't forget that once you see a street cabinet nearby, the chances are that other suppliers will be able to provide FTTC. If they (possibly your current supplier) provide LLU from your local exchange then the chances are very good that they will also be able to provide FTTC. And cheaper than BT ;)

Thanks for the heads up Darren, I'd forgotten about this since BT said we'd have it by 1st Jan 2013, then when it wasn't I complained, they told me it would be in March and they'd email me when I could place order. :shrug:

I've just checked, and placed order, should get it in three weeks up to 67Mb (y)

What cabinet?
Green thing - somewhere local. You will have one somewhere and that is where you will be connected to. I'm in a new house on a new estate and my cabinet is about half a mile away....

Only Virgin fibre here but for some reason I can't get even close to that for almost double price
The way cable works, you share the bandwidth to the "exchange" (well, at least what VM mean by the exchange) with your neighbours. With ADSL/VDSL, you are only contending for speed from the exchange onwards - which is generally less contended anyway.

I have a 62+/16 Mbit connection at any time of the day....

Well I can safely say I can sit here being miserable with my awful broadband for a fair while :(

Mines FE, I wont hold my breathe as it will be years and years before I get a decent connection speed!! :LOL:

Well I can safely say I can sit here being miserable with my awful broadband for a fair while :(

Mines FE, I wont hold my breathe as it will be years and years before I get a decent connection speed!! :LOL:

Where abouts in Yorkshire Mank as there is already a few projects where you can at least get Vdsl :)

Right in between Barnsley, Rotherham and Doncaster.

Our internet is shocking round here though!!

My address and phone number is Rotherham but I'm under Barnsley Council. I'm in a bit of no mans land really! :LOL:

Right in between Barnsley, Rotherham and Doncaster.

Our internet is shocking round here though!!

My address and phone number is Rotherham but I'm under Barnsley Council. I'm in a bit of no mans land really! :LOL:

Just sent on mate. Will look for ya first thing :)

Mine's still showing as NC - I.e. nothing planned :crying:

Wish we could get decent broadband - we're just outside Virgin cable territory I.e. 2 miles away so doubly frustrating :bonk:

Using VM's 30Mb service here and consistently getting results like this - I'm too tight fisted to pay for anything faster (y)

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2533188650.png

Not a downloader of much, more just a general browser so I'm happy with the speed I get. Of course, like anyone, I wou;dn't object to faster but it's pretty low on my list of priorities!

BT upgrade our exchange at some point this year, thank goodness!

Live right on the outer limits of the exchange. Connection is really dire here, looking forward to non-buffering and actually being able to make use of some services in the future.

:withstupid: :)

You should take this site, and similar, with a little pinch of salt. It's rather like a satnav - it requires the operator to use a little bit of common sense ;)

You will have a junction box not too far away, you certainly won't be connected directly to the exchange (if that's what you mean). And the distance from the exchange is no longer a factor.

Your local exchange may be 'accepting orders' but this is BT-speak for saying that the exchange has been upgraded and Openreach are rolling out the street cabinets. Once you see one of the new cabinets within a street or two then you can check again and you will probably find you can then place an order.

One of my customers is on the edge of a large exchange area and was suffering just 2mbps - until she upgraded to fibre and now has 62 mbps (y)

Don't forget that once you see a street cabinet nearby, the chances are that other suppliers will be able to provide FTTC. If they (possibly your current supplier) provide LLU from your local exchange then the chances are very good that they will also be able to provide FTTC. And cheaper than BT ;)

Same here, though we have had the cabinet for a while, but only swapped a few weeks ago. Even on wifi connection, getting over 40mbps, and if hard wired, closer to 60 and thats from an average of 2-3mbps...not to mention uploads have gone from 1/2 a meg [painful doing a full wedding gallery] to over 10.

There's a massive build at the moment but not all cabinets are being lit up as it not cost effective it all depends on how many customers are fed from it.

Still wish they would do direct fibre to the house instead of FTTC...

I'm jealous of these speeds. Only Virgin fibre here but for some reason I can't get even close to that for almost double price

Odd because on VM fibre you generally get exactly the speed they promise. I've been with them forever, and our 512 connection was 512, 1 meg was 1 meg and now it's 20mb it tests at about 20.5 every time. Every speed increase has been to their lowest package at their behest and the price compares to everywhere else if you remember to add back the line rental.

A lot of the speeds depends on contention ratios with how Many's connected and how far you are away from The node etc... The ISP's limit the connection speed to make it more stable giving.. The fibre is only the back haul from the node/ cab...

They started installing fibre cabinets in my area in the last week but none are live yet as far as I know. Shouldn't be long though and I'll probably go for an 80Mb deal when it goes live (presently on 12/13Mb ADSL2).

Last edited:
The cab near me has been live for ages I keep getting calls and letters from BT desperate to sell it. Just can't really see the point given the price. Not unless it my current speed was really slow.

It's annoying because our town has been enabled but not all cabinets. There's a cabinet less than 400 m away that has been enabled but I'm not on that one.

It's annoying because our town has been enabled but not all cabinets. There's a cabinet less than 400 m away that has been enabled but I'm not on that one.

Joe BT will only make the cab active if its worth there while. Some cabinets don't have enough subs to make it cost effective to run.

Which is poo
That's ironic coming from the man who always defends Apple pricing by saying they're a company who need to make money... ;) Which is what BT is. A company - trying to make money (although you do wonder with the bureaucracy sometimes).

Not currently in rollout plans

I think it's because the estate is mostly block paved, they like to dig a big trench not have to re lay block paving , my speeds are pathetic

Back