Beginner Field hockey goals, typically difficult to photograph?

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
No
First time i've shot sport - I shot about 13 hours of hockey this weekend, two tournaments of well over 20 matches of about 15-20 minutes each. Only the final of each day had two halves in which they switched sides.

It's also the army reserves hockey tournament with a mix of experienced and beginner players.

I'm mostly shooting from a corner, which is what 90% of my research told me to do - though I played with a few options during this weekend.

I'm using 100-400 outside, 70-200 inside - but the story is pretty much the same.

The goal i'm shooting in the corner of, if the player shoots from the edge of the D - well I can shoot him OR the goal in which you may not see a ball - but not both.
If the goal is a scuffle of players in the goal mouth well then you can't make out much of what's going on anyway from this angle.

The other end of the goal is a bit better, but often views gets blocked - or someone runs past the goal then hooks it back at an extreme angle and it's difficult to be ready to get it all in.

That I'm recognising these things probably just helps for next time.

Should I be trying to shoot it all?
Are there times when I should switch to a 24-70? I had it with me, but by the time it woke up the action had moved.

Also a related question as it often leads to a goal, when there's a corner (near me) should I consider adjusting my position?

I'll post up a few photos once I've looked through everything - but here's a few
https://gallery.danielcook.com/armyhockeytournament/

Last edited:
So to further clarify, as I go through photos - what I mean to say is that it's difficult to capture the whole story of a goal in one photo sometimes..

These photos would be where I was trying out a position almost in line with the end of the D

In a particular series from hitting the ball to another player trying to stop it mid air before it ends up in the goal, this photo is the closest to telling the whole story of a goal.

The problem with this photo other than being a bit of a cramped composition at the top, is that it's not immediately obvious what's happening - you cannot see the goal scorer well enough to realise he's hit the ball. The ball is a bit invisible, and you don't know it's actually going into the goal..

Getting a ball (visible) in a net, with a scorer looking like he's just made the swing of their career with a goal keeper trying to make the save of their life... seems tough.. often it seems to be a mess of people in front of the goal looking bewildered as the ball drops behind the line..

DSC05237 by dancook1982, on Flickr

this was a goal too, just as well the keeper is there else you'd never know it was a possibility.....

DSC03407 by dancook1982, on Flickr

As I said it's my first foray into sport photography, I just crave for the secrets to make perfect story telling images!

Last edited:
Welcome to hockey photography Dan.

You've noticed the game's fast and you've described some of the difficulties very well. Slower sports like football or rugby are probably easier to start with.

I don't think you can expect to get a shot that tells the full story of a goal very often. I don't and I've been covering the game for nearly ten years.

I did a count once and decided I have over twenty strategies for penalty corners, depending on where I'm sitting and what aspect of the action I choose to concentrate on. You can stay on attackers or defenders but not effectively both. I choose one plan and just hope the action happens to suit it. That said, there are ways to improve your chances. If you want the player trying the drag flick for example, moving further down the sideline will reduce the chances of your shot being blocked.

As far as using your 24-70 goes, that's something I do rarely. I will sometimes if I'm opposite the very attractive stand we have at the hockey centre and I want it all in in the background. You have to wait a long time to get a suitable shot with it though. Your 70-200, particularly if it's on a full frame body, will be much more useful for near action.

Overall I think you did a really good job for your first time, well done.

www.duncolm.photography/Hockey

Welcome to hockey photography Dan.

You've noticed the game's fast and you've described some of the difficulties very well. Slower sports like football or rugby are probably easier to start with.

I don't think you can expect to get a shot that tells the full story of a goal very often. I don't and I've been covering the game for nearly ten years.

I did a count once and decided I have over twenty strategies for penalty corners, depending on where I'm sitting and what aspect of the action I choose to concentrate on. You can stay on attackers or defenders but not effectively both. I choose one plan and just hope the action happens to suit it. That said, there are ways to improve your chances. If you want the player trying the drag flick for example, moving further down the sideline will reduce the chances of your shot being blocked.

As far as using your 24-70 goes, that's something I do rarely. I will sometimes if I'm opposite the very attractive stand we have at the hockey centre and I want it all in in the background. You have to wait a long time to get a suitable shot with it though. Your 70-200, particularly if it's on a full frame body, will be much more useful for near action.

Overall I think you did a really good job for your first time, well done.

www.duncolm.photography/Hockey

Thanks Duncan, that helps.

It's good to know I shouldn't beat myself up too much over 'perfect goal shots'.

Dan, i have been shooting hockey for about 7 years and I quickly learned that some of the best shots are not the actual shot itself but either the celebration if the goal is scored or the save if one is made. I tend to sit on the sideline, focus on the keeper at a short corner and if a goal is scored switch as quickly as you can to the celebration. Of course you can get a “stock shot” of the short corner taker just once in the game.

Back