Fiesta battery drain

Name
Kev
Edit My Images
No
I have had my 2014 Ford Fiesta from new and have had no problems with the battery until today. I have even left it for 2 weeks while on holiday and it has started fine. Today however the battery was completely drained, I measured 4.7 volts across the terminals, it had last been used on Monday evening with no problems.
I called out Ford assistance and an AA van arrived in 15 mins, he got the car started and waited a while then I switched off and started again OK. He told me that there is a problem with Fiestas draining the battery and that Ford are having to change some software to prevent this. The short term fix is to leave the audio unit switched on when turning off the ignition as if the audio unit switched off something keeps signalling something else (Note the technical terms ;)) and drains the battery.
This seems wierd to me but on Monday I did have the audio unit switched off which is not usual, it is normally left on all the time. I have had a look on the internet and the problem is mentioned a couple of times, someone has said it is the bluetooth trying to link to a phone all the time. The AA mechanic suggested that I contact my Ford dealer and see what they say.
Has anyone else come across this problem and if so did they solve it?

Last edited:
Surely, as a 2014 model, anything is covered by warranty.

Not heard anything of this previously but it seems Ford have a software update for it and as you car is under warranty, it won't cost you anything.

Thanks for the replies.
Yes I have no problem regarding the warranty, I just wondered if anyone had heard of the problem and the unusual short term fix and if that works. I don't really want it to happen again before any software update is sorted out.

We never had a problem with my wife's fiesta and the battery - but thinking about it, the radio was very rarely manually switched off (was switched off automatically when the car was switched off)...

Thanks for the replies, I am OK testing for battery current but the problem is intermittent. I have seen a post elsewhere saying it is due to the audio system bluetooth trying to link to a phone, failing, and continually trying to link. Apparently this only occurs when the audio system is switched off and only at certain undetermined times. Not sure how relevant but my Fiesta has a Sony audio system.
Regarding the video in the post above, he removes the battery lead completely before connecting the meter in series, on modern cars that will cause problems as lots of the systems require a constant supply. The meter should be connected to the battery terminal and the battery lead before removing the lead from the battery ensuring that the meter remains connected to these all the time.
The car has been behaving itself so far and is booked in next Tuesday for a check.

I took it to a main dealer who updated some code - as the receptionist put it. She said that it is all OK now.
I was unable to talk to anyone about what the update was and whether it was designed to cure a known problem or just a general update.
I have had no more problems since the initial battery drain so I shall just ensure that I keep the audio unit on all the time. I could switch it off and then monitor the battery voltage every few hours but if the fault is intermittent, and only occurs when the audio unit is off and the bluetooth is just about to try to connect when the ignition is switched off, or something similar, it will not prove much.

Last edited:
Well, only time will tell, but hopefully all sorted and if nothing else, it's now been logged as an issue...

Hopefully no more problems.

Back