Fiesta - EAC Fail. Any advice?

MartynK

Opting Out.
Name
Martyn
Edit My Images
No
My wife inherited a Fiesta 1.4 (2002) about a year ago. Her mother bought the car from a dealer, third or fourth hand, and had some problems with this Electronic Accelerator Control issue - revs surging and failing - which usually cleared if you switched off, waited, and turned on the ignition again. This was never really sorted out and we've had similar problems.

The car spent a couple of weeks with the Ford agents last year after this recurred. They tried all sorts of solutions - based on reading the fault codes - and got nowhere, but finally managed to stabilise the revs and returned the car saying they didn't really know what was causing it, and couldn't be sure it wouldn't happen again, but didn't charge much.

EAC Fail has started again. It seems to be a known issue with these vehicles and there are a number of possible causes and solutions on the internet, but I'm fairly clueless about cars. Anyone else have this problem, or able to offer any advice? Thanks guys.

Last edited:
As you say, the fiesta was plagued with throttle problems at that build range. Some of the solutions are :eek: expensive depending on the fuel (petrol or diesel)

It'd be helpful to know what was done by the dealers really.

On the 1.4 diesel a fault on the Exhaust Gas Recirculation system will cause EAC FAIL to be displayed.
On petrol engine harness, throttle housings and PCM failures are all areas to check

Sounds like the idle control valve or an air leak somewhere.

ICV went on mine and has done a quite a few over on ZSOC. You can take it off and clean them out as they do stick over time or you can just replace it.

There could be a few other issues but its where I'd start. :)

I'd find a decent ford independent or other independent to look at it. Main dealers can just about code read and fix according to a dummies guide in the main. You need someone with a brain to look at it and find out what is actually wrong.

My other half's motor was doing this and after replacing most of the other sensors it turned out to be the throttle position sensor. I've never actually heard of "electronic accelerator control"; it sounds like a disaster waiting to happen though.

My other half's motor was doing this and after replacing most of the other sensors it turned out to be the throttle position sensor. I've never actually heard of "electronic accelerator control"; it sounds like a disaster waiting to happen though.

Most cars are now fly by wire (EAC) and have been for a number of years. Not many cars have an actual throttle cable anymore.

It sounds like a worn/faulty throttle sensor, or the actual throttle valve mechanics are floppy, both of these can make the revs fall and rise unpredictably.

Is this all at tickover? ...is it ok under normal running? (like when the throttle is depressed a little). ... imagine rotating the throttle sensor passed a worn spot kinda thing? ..or is it at certain speeds, or al speeds anywhere?

The throttle valve worn, or more like its bearing or bushes are worn, causes the valve to wander left to right in the venturi and in so doing let air into a ticking over engine making it rise and fall unexpectedly....or the coke system, if it has one, is leaking air (or fuel) into the system... All of these can cause the revs to rise and fall randomly.

(y)

Last edited:
I had a similar problem & turned out to be TPS electrical connection, just pull off a couple of times & re-fit.

Hope this helps.

Thanks everyone. Quite a few things to think about here. The fault was occurring when my mother in law still owned the car, and has happened intermittently since we took it over. It's happened at start up and at normal road speeds, revs fluctuate wildly and power drops off. Restarting sometimes clears it, but it ended up with the dealer about a year ago when this didn't work. I wasn't here at the time, but they told my wife they had checked/cleaned various pins and contacts at the pcm/engine control unit and electronic throttle body according to Ford directives. Nothing seemed to work and they eventually reassembled everything and played around with the idle controls until it stabilised. I think they said that they would have to replace the pcm (expensive) if it happened again, but I don't get that. How can they make that call if they don't know what was wrong with it in the first place? Usual dealer workshop try on I suppose.

Problem started again yesterday. The car has been running normally this afternoon - no warning lights showing - but I don't trust it and the fault could show up again any time. I'll do a bit of phoning around tomorrow, but we live in a rural area and there's not much choice of workshops. I appreciate all the advice.

It wasn't a dealer trying it on to replace the PCM, there was a technical service bulletin a while ago which detailed that as part of a fix due to a defective circuit board within the PCM causing the EAC fault. It was a last stage of the repair though and there was never any clearly obvious sign of the PCM being defective.

Most cars are now fly by wire (EAC) and have been for a number of years. Not many cars have an actual throttle cable anymore.

makes sense I suppose... when the carburetor was replaced by all that electronic gumf I guess the accelerator cable was technically not needed anymore.

Does that mean then on a modern car that you can't pop the bonnet and operate the throttle like you can on older ones? I'm a complete div when it comes to modern car engines/electronics btw, it's all far too complicated for my liking.

Last edited:
Doing a quick search on the net, people who have had similar symptoms with Fiestas of similar age. Causes were dirty throttle body or a failing MAF (air mass sensor) On the air intake. If the MAF is anything like that on my Mondeo TDCi, you could try gently cleaning the sensor wires with electrical cleaner and cotton buds.

.... It's happened at start up and at normal road speeds, revs fluctuate wildly and power drops off. Restarting sometimes clears it, .....

This means its NOT the mechanical throttle body/throttle valve(y)

Not unless the fly by wire throttle, if you have one, isnt having a mad dance randomly opening and closing the throttle. ..I think they design them not to be able to do this. not sure though.

.... How can they make that call if they don't know what was wrong with it in the first place? Usual dealer workshop try on I suppose.

Yeah ...pants answer that is ...what a bunch of fitters, ;) ... you need someone with a brain as DF suggested.

Other stuff Ive thought of is the FI pressure release valve (return valve or similar) is failing and loosing pressure occasionally...they don't usually fluctuate though...but you would lose loads of power all of a sudden, like lifting the accelerator in feel? ..if it kicked back in again (which could happen I guess) then the engine could surge as if you'd stamped on the gas again, which id guess is what you would be doing in that horrible surging situation. .... The fuel pump powering down and up again would also have the same feeling. (y)

The fact that switching it off and on again often corrects the fault does lean me towards an electrical fault, wee tiny sparks between those pins in the connectors can suddenly stop the flow by sooting up, then just with a shake of swithing off or another spark, or just the surge of new power can connect them again, or all in reverse of all that, either way you tend to get an almost magical hit and miss effect thats so very hard to nail down. ...

Problem started again yesterday. The car has been running normally this afternoon - no warning lights showing - but I don't trust it and the fault could show up again any time. I'll do a bit of phoning around tomorrow, but we live in a rural area and there's not much choice of workshops. I appreciate all the advice.

From all Ive searched this last half hour, it seems as if the wiring and connectors to the throttle position sensor and other stuff around that harness spot, are mostly THE FAULT!!... hence the ford suggestion of a newly improved replacement of the whole area with new parts, all with improved gold plated contacts in a desperate attempt to correct the fault in a reliable way.

If your engine was in front of me id want the fault to show, then id touch and wriggle individual connectors until it corrected, (starting around that throttle sensors wiring section ).... OR in reverse, untill it disconnected and made the engine run badly . ..if you do this methodically you should be able to pinpoint exactly which connector block is at fault. (maybe more than one) ...WD40 is the perfect contact cleaner, usual way is to unclip and re-clip repeatedly with wd40, as the action of pushing it in and out helps to clean the corroded pins off. ...note what colour the electronic pins are, if they are blackened with soot because they been sparking this can take considerable scrubbing to clean it all off ... unfortunately you cant scrub the female parts of the connectors as they are down a slot, so just wd40 and re-clipping repeatedly is the only way.

Does that mean then on a modern car that you can't pop the bonnet and operate the throttle like you can on older ones? I'm a complete div when it comes to modern car engines/electronics btw, it's all far too complicated for my liking.

They still have the same throttle ( throttle types) with fuel injection so in essence its very similar.... however as your thinking they probably wont have a leaver on the outside to physically twist.

Cable or not though, its fuel injection fuelling, so it must have a throttle sensor somewhere to give information about how far the throttle was turned, from what starting point and at what speed...blah blah

:)

Last edited:
Again, thanks guys. I've left this for a week or so to see what happened. Still an intermittent fault - only at start up right now - that seems to go away if I switch off and wait for a few minutes. My main concern is that there is a fault, and it's either going to kick on on the road or fail to clear itself. I called the garage workshops in the area - we live in the country, and there isn't much choice - and just got the usual suggestions of "Bring it in and we'll have a look at it". I really can't afford to go on another 'fishing expedition' just to see if they get lucky.

I'll keep trying to track this down myself as some of you suggested, but it's frustrating and worrying.

Back