Fife Flyers v Nottingham Panthers -Ice Hockey

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
No
Shot with Canon 100-400mm IS USM.

Despite attending ice hockey for nigh on 40 years this is the first time I've taken the camera along to a game. Like Fife Flyers start to the season, it's been a bit of a baptism of fire. Anyway, got some that I was pretty happy wth, but like anything, learnt a few tricks I hope to put into action next week.

Mike Hamilton scores Fife Flyers first elite goal.
MikeHamilton1stFlyersGoal.jpg

Fowley scores the first Brit goal.
Fowleygoal.jpg

action3.jpg

action4.jpg

action8.jpg

goal.jpg

Hi Ian, well a couple of things really, images look underexposed plus if your using a 100-400 I would crop in alot more males the action look better , push the ISO up a bit from 800 as 1/320 is just not fast enough for this game. Practice practice as they say...

cheers
Iain

Thanks for the comments Iain, much appreciated. I don't usually shoot anything at that high an ISO due to noise issues. However, I took the plunge and got myself a copy of Photoshop and the converted raw to TIFF images (using Bridge) are superb compared with what I have been using. I also tinkered with the exposure and they came out far better than I had anticipated. So next week I won't hesitate to take the ISO up for that extra shutter speed. Role on Flyers v Caps on Saturday (y).

Last edited:
Cool, if your anytime down at Breahead Clan games say hello, just got a media pass for the season :)

Iain

Hi Ian, well a couple of things really, images look underexposed plus if your using a 100-400 I would crop in alot more males the action look better , push the ISO up a bit from 800 as 1/320 is just not fast enough for this game. Practice practice as they say...

cheers
Iain

Thanks for the comments Iain, much appreciated. I don't usually shoot anything at that high an ISO due to noise issues. However, I took the plunge and got myself a copy of Photoshop and the converted raw to TIFF images (using Bridge) are superb compared with what I have been using. I also tinkered with the exposure and they came out far better than I had anticipated. So next week I won't hesitate to take the ISO up for that extra shutter speed. Role on Flyers v Caps on Saturday (y).

I think that's right what Iain said Ian. Also I always find when shooting high ISO if you slightly overexpose the noise will be less noticable.

I'll be interested to see your pictures from the coming matches, Ice Hockey is a sport I've never photographed but it sure looks exiting... & trickey to shoot well.
Keep us posted (y)

Stew.

Back