File size too large to upload to Gallery - help!

Jas

Edit My Images
Yes
Being new to photography and the site (and finally getting Broadband sorted), I have been trying to upload some pictures to my gallery. I use a D70s and have converted the images to jpeg from elements 5 in post processing. The files are still 2 to 3 times the 161k limit.

Any suggestions on what I can do to get a smaller file size in post processing?

Jas

You'll need to set your jpeg quality to 800 pixels on the long side. Depending the original file size you'll need to experiment with jpeg quality of 75% - 100%.

What program are you using? If you use PS you can use the save to web version which allows you to preveiw file size before comitting.

Jon

Thanks Jon,

I use Photoshop Elements 5.

Jas

The easiest way to do it is reduce the actual size of the file to 800 pixels on the longest side. Then :-

Save the file as a jpeg, setting the compression/quality slider so that you get as close as possible to a 160kb file size.(usually just under) :)

The easiest way to do it is reduce the actual size of the file to 800 pixels on the longest side. Then :-

Save the file as a jpeg, setting the compression/quality slider so that you get as close as possible to a 160kb file size.(usually just under) :)

and Bobs your Uncle :)

Open up Elements and go to File > Save for web. You will get a page very similar to below.

Step 1 below: Go to image size and
Step 2: Put in 800 on your longest side and click Apply
Step 3: Move the 'Quality' slider until 160kb shows in the bottom left hand corner.

Save and close.

Easy. :D

Save-for-web.jpg

Thanks folks!

I'll try again tonight as long as my lady doesn't get the hump, she keeps telling me the camera (and it's friends) get more attention than she does! She's probably right, but an obsession is an obsession!

Jas

Jas get her into it, then she cant complain, thats what we did, both have cameras, and spend time on here, so the only argument we have now is over who's picture is the best. :)

errrrrrr.........My Lady has many qualities, but taking photographs is not one of them, not unless you are making a John Cleese Photography Training Video.

i didnt think it was mine ( sometimes still isnt) but it is good fun, and something we can do together.

Thanks for your help everyone, especially Hacker as your page worked a treat.

First pics now on gallery. Just need to save for a wideangle lens before taking the kind of shots i'm looking for..

Jas

Thanks, technically it's definitely the best photo as I used a tripod and remote release and got there to set up not long before sunset.

I was on hols for a couple of weeks over Xmas and NY and went to Cambodia; Siam Reap for the temples, Phnom Penh for City in the far east, Sihanoukville in the south on the beach for R+R at the end.

Would highly recommend Cambodia to visit, as much as anything for it's wonderful people, they are trying really hard to improve their lives.

Jas

Back