File too large.

Name
Tony
Edit My Images
Yes
I need some help from anyone who has a really powerful computer.
Long story short.
I scanned 4x5 slide at 4200 dpi and the file is too large for my computer to deal with (1.25gb).
I was going to scan it again but dropped the film on the kitchen floor and then, in a moments madness, I tried to clean the slide with a cloth.
Needless to say, I scratched the emulsion so badly I cannot scan it again.

To the point. If I email the raw file to someone with a super computer, I would like it to be converted to a maximum quality jpeg without any corrections.

Can anyone help?

Not sure what size ram you would need to convert that file size, but you will not be able to email a file that big on any standard email service. They tend to top-out at 30-50mb worth of attachments.

You would need to use a file transfer service such as wetransfer, or upload it to one drive or Google drive or similar and the other party download it.

I'll have a go Tony. I don't have a super computer but I've dealt with 500Mb 6x17 scans fine. Happy to find out if I can do larger!

Mozthecat is suggesting the file is too large to be sent by email.
Please let me have your mail address and I'll have a go at sending the file.

It is but if you are on a Mac, Mail offers to send large files up to 5Gb by ”Mail Drop”, guess Windows has similar?

I have no idea what that means.
Yes I have a mac,

You can send it via WeTransfer - let me know if you still need help - I can try for you

Please let me have your mail address and I'll have a go at sending the file.
PM sent.

I have no idea what that means.
Yes I have a mac,
Because you’ve probably not tried to send a big file before! This applies solely to Apple Mail (on Mac, iPad etc) not if you use some other app. When you add a too big file to an Apple Mail message a dialogue will appear saying that the “file is too large would you like to use a Mail Drop?” In fact it pops up with other large files even if they are within its limit — maybe it’s better for the recipient, I don’t know.

Last edited:
To anyone interested I have overcome the file too large issue.
It appears that Canon DPP has a limit as to the size of file it can handle.
I managed to open it in Affinity and reduce it to something manageable.

Back