Beginner files missing when trying to import

Name
Kris
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, currently on my venture into photography i only have the windows photo editor, i was out and snapped a few shots and put them on the computer.

Now im having an issue, i cant upload to flickr as it says the files dont exist or are irretrievable. i can get the album there and even copied it and tried to move to a new folder but still nada. they were taken in raw any help would be greatly received. i have tried searching and using the tutorial section but think im missing something.

thanks, kris

Have you created a JPeg from the RAW files?

When you shoot in RAW, the image you see in the editor is a processed version of the RAW data - you need to export to JPeg in order to have a file which you can upload to Flickr to share.

Look on RAW as just that - raw data from the chip. Your photo editor can display a raw image because the ability to do so it coded into it. If you tried to display a raw image from a new camera in old editing software you wouldn't be able to - while the Windows viewer on my W10 laptop can display a raw from my Canon 550D, the viewer on my XP desktop can't - it predates the camera therefore doesn't know how to. You can't edit and save a raw image in your camera's raw 'file format' because it isn't actually a file format. To upload a file to Flickr, FB, this forum or wherever, the file needs to be in a format recognized by the application (usually jpeg). So just export or 'save as' the images you want as jpegs and away you go. You will, however, get, as Jonathon says, the version with whatever processing the camera and software want to apply, which rather negates the point to shooting raw to begin with. Raw is intended to be processed by you in the way that you want, then you export or save as a tif if you want to preserve all the data, or jpeg for web use as Flickr etc won't accept a tif either (file size/server space/loading time?)

i tried to change them to jpeg and its saying invalid file type, im lost

i tried to change them to jpeg and its saying invalid file type, im lost
If you haven't got another raw editor programme (e.g. Lightroom), then you need to use the software that came with the camera to convert the raw to jpg.

You can't upload a raw file to Flickr.

Did you use the Save As option in your photo editor to create the Jpegs, or did you rename the files?

Sorry i'll add insight because my post is very vague,

i inserted the memory card in to the laptop and it imports them into "photos" on windows 10, all of these are currently saved when i open file explorer in pictures as march 17, i can upload photos from feb all the way back to 2012 without any issue, i havent edited or even saved them, they are just there to view on the computer if i want, but the pics i have taken and imported from jan and feb are available to upload and i havent touched them all files taken from the start have nef which after checking is nikkon, get a new memory card incase its defective as it was just a cheapy.

thanks again for all the help, i'll get there eventually

As above, they are in RAW format. Yours is Nikon's and hence NEF files. You need to convert these files into JPG, GIF, PNG or similar to view or upload them. Your profile says you have a D5300 camera. You should have the relevant software with your camera. If not, you can always download it. The D5300 support page has software links: http://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/products/25/D5300.html and it looks like the software you need is the Capture NX-D, which will convert the RAW files into proper image files. Once converted, you can then share these image files through facebook, twitter, flickr etc.

As above, you need to convert the raw files to jpg's in software. Going forward, if you don't want to keep doing this, you can choose from the camera's 'quality' settings to shoot jpg only (or even both raw & jpg together).

thanks again guys, i have done some downloading, i must not have got a software disc as i have never installed one or even noticed one.

i'll keep you updated, thanks Kris

Back