Fill flash outdoor power settings

Name
Ian Turner
Edit My Images
No
Evening all,

I have a Bronica ETRS and using Kodak Portra 160 iso 120 film.

I know the lens can sync any flash speed up to 1/500th second and if I'm right in saying that, I set my aperture to F8 and the flash to F8 (i'm using my Jessops 360AFDC that i use on my DSLR) then use the shutter speed to control ambient lighting i.e. 1 1/125th etc.

What power settings would I use I know that isn't easily answered as I guess it depends on many things but a rough guide would be helpful if anyone has any tips?

Ian

I would start at about one stop lower, possibly one and a half. If you are using the film at ISO 160 then fool the flash by making it think the film is ISO 320 or 400 if you can.

That's the way I do it with a Vivitar 285.

Steve.

Thanks for the advice guys, I have had a one or two lighting workshops (outdoors) using digital at uni but thats a little easier in terms of results for obvious reasons.
The principles are the same but it was a while ago so just trying to refresh my brain.

I guess I shall have to have a go a shoot a roll and see how it comes out :)

Ian

Flash meter is handy if you can pick one up cheap, but you would have to allow for ambient light......if the person face is in shadow then if possible set the flash gun to half power (or quarter) as a starting point and see the results..afterwards with experience there are tricks like a handkerchief covering the flashgun.
When I use my Canon T90 and 300tl flashgun, it works it all out and meters the correct exposure at the film.

Back